Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Research vs. extracurriculars  (Read 461 times)

spiffypyro

• View Profile
    • Email
Research vs. extracurriculars
« on: August 23, 2007, 09:27:17 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, please don't bite. I'm a sophomore interested in law school, right now my GPA's pretty good and who knows about the LSAT until I take it, but I was wondering about the other parts of the application, namely resume stuff. I don't really have any extracurriculars/leadership positions as of yet, but I've had some involvement with research/symposiums and was considering doing more of that in the next couple years.  My question is whether research could count as a viable extracurricular or would look impressive on a law school application, or if it would be wiser to instead devote that time to a traditional pre-law club or something. Thanks!

quincym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Research vs. extracurriculars
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it. I think more important than playing to the Adcomm's perceived interests would be to do something significant in a leadership capacity. Anything, really. Just to show that you're motivated and interested in something.

Of course, keep in mind that it's a numbers game and keeping up your GPA will have a much greater effect on your application process than ECs.

spiffypyro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:21:27 PM »
Thanks for replying. You're right, I don't want to, as you put it, play to adcomm's perceived interests or do something just because it would look good, and I also know that numbers are king. I was just curious as to whether doing research would make up for not doing anything else, haha. But I think that I'm going to join a couple things this semester anyway, so I'm not going to worry too much.

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:08:54 PM »
I think research would look better than pre-law club unless you had leadership in that club.  Research also can get you more involved with a specific professor, who may eventually write a letter of recommendation for you.

But the most important thing (and I think you already understand this, but I want to reiterate) is to do what you're actually passionate about doing.  You may be passionate about a certain issue or cause, but not everyone's passions must be manifested in the same way (i.e. not everyone likes participating in clubs) and there's nothing wrong with that.  Keep yourself happy first, worry about the resume later.

Indeed. Many law schools are developing leadership tracks (if they don't have them already) and UF law is creating a leadership clinic/certificate program.

I served in the army before law school, and I'm 90% sure that's why I was accepted into the schools that I was. Other extracurriculars that have simlar leadership opportunities will likely give you a significant benefit.

Oh, and pre-law club doesn't really mean *&^%.
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

spiffypyro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:59:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. As it turns out I probably won't be doing research this year (I didn't have room to schedule the class for it) but I appreciate the input. :)