Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Adopted Asian Americans?  (Read 1151 times)

kel_bel_03

• View Profile
Adopted Asian Americans?
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:56:26 PM »
Has anyone had an experience or heard of anyone with an experience in applying for law school and being an adopted Asian American? In my situation, I was born in Korea, but grew up with white parents in the Midwest. Does this constitute a unique personal/diversity statement? Will I even seem like a minority or just another white Midwestern kid that happens to look Asian?  ???

hopefulgrl

• View Profile
Re: Adopted Asian Americans?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 01:39:35 PM »
Has anyone had an experience or heard of anyone with an experience in applying for law school and being an adopted Asian American? In my situation, I was born in Korea, but grew up with white parents in the Midwest. Does this constitute a unique personal/diversity statement? Will I even seem like a minority or just another white Midwestern kid that happens to look Asian?  ???

I have met a few Koreans (and even Chinese) who were adopted by white parents in America. However, if your ethnicity is technically Korean, then you won't be considered a minority. What do you mean by "just another white Midwestern kid that happens to look Asian"? Are you saying that you consider yourself white, in the sense that you're very Americanized/white-washed even though you're really Korean?  If this is true, then you're not really a special case. You'd be like every other Korean American, and not considered a minority. However, the fact that you were adopted by white parents as a Korean child could possibly make a good personal statement.