Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: application question-low college GPA  (Read 1304 times)

eventually

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
application question-low college GPA
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:27:15 AM »
deleted

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
Re: application question-low college GPA
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 10:12:04 AM »
Quote from: Standing Firm-I am a soldier
Any suggestions for boosting my admission chance for the following tier one schools?

Try starting with your grammar and punctuation . . . .

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:00:15 AM »
3.15/4 is not a low GPA.

Excel in your LSAT, then that will compensate for your GPA.
get 170+

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:41:14 AM »
3.15/4 is not a low GPA.

3.15 on a 4 point scale is pretty low for law school admissions. You will really need to beef up the LSAT to compensate. Have you taken a practice LSAT yet? I would not think about putting together a list of schools until you know where you are scoring.

EDIT: I should add that because you graduated 5 years ago they most likely will not weigh your GPA as heavily as they would if you graduated this year.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

reverendT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 02:13:34 PM »
3.15/4 is not a low GPA.

3.15 on a 4 point scale is pretty low for law school admissions. You will really need to beef up the LSAT to compensate. Have you taken a practice LSAT yet? I would not think about putting together a list of schools until you know where you are scoring.

EDIT: I should add that because you graduated 5 years ago they most likely will not weigh your GPA as heavily as they would if you graduated this year.
You don't think they weigh old grades as heavily???  I sure hope you're right.  I flunked out of college in 1993.  I returned 10 years later and got all A's, but my LSAC GPA will still be in the 2.6 range.
So I'm sure hoping they ignore the disasters of 15 years ago in favor of the 69 credits averaging 3.95 that I earned in the past 5 years.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »
That is the general opinion on the board (and has been echoed by adcomms I have spoken too).

When I started undergrad things were really rocky for me and I was working 50+ hours a week. Those things combined resulted in me not giving schol my all and not being able to finish classes. Those incompletes turned into Fs. I returned to school later and spent 4 years (or 90+ credit hours) at my undergrad gradutaing with a 3.92. However, because of my history my LSDAS GPA is only a 3.54.

Time out + upward trend is a good combo. Just make sure you do a no-excuses GPA addendum.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.