Law School Discussion

« on: August 22, 2007, 08:40:39 PM »

Re: Corporate law-related PS topic?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 10:34:02 AM »
I've been wondering about this, too. I haven't actually begun my PS yet, just mulling over ideas for it. But corporate law is my career goal. It seems paradoxically for it not to be wise to write about the topic, considering how some schools are known for their corporate law departments. Does anyone else have any insight on this?

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »
I can only speak from personal experience.

I wrote my personal statement about how I wanted to go into corporate law.  I didn't want to run for homecoming queen, didn't want everyone to love me, didn't want to hug babies, I wanted to be a corporate attorney.  It did not appear to hurt me in the least, though I was considerably nervous about sending it out because the people that I asked to proofread were wary about sending it out.  They said that I sounded like a snob.  However, when I got my acceptance letters, the people who signed them actually wrote notes on the bottom complimenting my choice of topic and writing style.

I personally feel it's more HOW you write it, than what you write about particularly, so make it count.  Don't go over the top and be snide.  You don't want to make anyone feel like you're challenging them, if they decided to go into the public sector.  But make it clear that you aren't looking to kid yourself or anyone else.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:18:13 PM »
I agree with the post above. If your PS is well written, then it's fine. Good luck!