Law School Discussion

Baylor Spring or wait until next fall?

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
Baylor Spring or wait until next fall?
« on: September 23, 2004, 09:44:10 AM »
So, if you're been following my saga, I lost my job this week. I'm taking the LSAT in October (yes, next week) and will be applying immediately after the test is done.

My question is, in light of the situation, and considering that I've been out of school for going on two years, should I apply for the Baylor spring term, or continue as planned and apply to the other schools on my list for next fall?

My LSAT score should be good - probably between 168 and 172. My GPA sucks, it's a 2.8, but I did go to Northwestern. My LORs will be from two amazing people - a professor who is an incredibly highly regarded legal scholar and the Cook County Public Defender, under whom I did my internship. My PS should be good too - I'm a good writer and have a unique situation to present.

Under normal circumstances, I'd be applying to: GMU, GWU, W&M, W&L, American, Catholic, etc, maybe Gtown and UVA if I did exceptionally well on the LSAT, (all DC area schools). But Baylor has also been on my list for several years.

What do you think? Considering that I'm unemployed...

MaroonOut2005

• Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Baylor Spring or wait until next fall?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 10:08:21 AM »
Do you want to practice in Texas?  If so, I would seriously consider Baylor.  If you enter in the spring semester and go year around, you can qualify for 2L internships the following summer.  That means you will be making the big bucks a year early.  Also, Baylor has an amazing litigation program.  If that is what you are interested in, Baylor would be a great choice.  In addition, Baylor just built their new law school buidling, and it is amazing.  However, their are some negatives to Baylor.  You'd have to live in Waco, which is not the most fun town in the world.  In addition, Baylor is a tiny law school, which can be a positive or a negative depending on what you are looking for.  Finally, Baylor is very tough.  It's been refered to as the "marine corps" of law schools.  If you go there, you can forget any dreams of relaxing your 3L year, because that is the hardest one.  However, overall I think Baylor would be an excellent choice if you want to practice in Texas.  Baylor has the highest bar passage rate in the state, employers respect Baylor as a ligitation school, and the law school itself is beautiful.  If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

!@#$%

• View Profile
Re: Baylor Spring or wait until next fall?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 10:54:38 AM »
It appears as though spring applications are not as competitive. 

http://law.baylor.edu/new_prosp_students/Admissions/admission.pdf (page 4)