Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How/When to Ask Current Boss for LOR  (Read 1298 times)

JimmyO

• View Profile
How/When to Ask Current Boss for LOR
« on: August 21, 2007, 03:59:32 PM »
I know there's a whole sub-board for LORs, but I thought I'd hit up my fellow nontrads with this question.

I'd like to ask my current boss for a LOR, but how best to go about asking? You know, without sounding like: "Hey, I like this job and everything, but I plan on ditching you in about a year." I do work in a field with quick turnover (higher ed. fundraising), however, so it's not like she's expecting me to be here for years and years. But still, it seems a little awkward.

Shower me with your wisdom. :)

scottie

• View Profile
Re: How/When to Ask Current Boss for LOR
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:34:25 PM »
I personally agonized over this one to the point that I almost didn't ask.  My boss happened to also be the professor from my previous life in college who knew me the best.  So, I simply had to ask.  In the end, I simply walked into his office and asked if he had a few minutes.  I told him that I wanted to see if he would provide me with a recommendation for LS in the event that someday I was able to make that transition a reality.  I stressed that I would not be applying immediately but that I wanted to get my ducks in a row should the opportunity arise.  He was gracious and provided the letter promptly.  I guess I had the advantage of not applying immediately.  Still, my advice is just to go do it.  If you are valued at your job, it won't make a difference.
----------------------------------
Why am I doing this again?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=scottieUT

JimmyO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:42:19 AM »
Good approach, but yeah, if I wasn't applying immediately, I'd certainly emphasize that. However, I am looking at applying this fall and leaving next summer. Thanks, though. You do raise a good point - If I'm truly valued, it won't matter. And, working in a field where the turnover is high, plus the fact that I've mentioned to her before that I'm thinking about LS, makes me think I should just go for it.

Any other thoughts? I'd like to hear how people broach the subject.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:53:29 AM »
Good approach, but yeah, if I wasn't applying immediately, I'd certainly emphasize that. However, I am looking at applying this fall and leaving next summer. Thanks, though. You do raise a good point - If I'm truly valued, it won't matter. And, working in a field where the turnover is high, plus the fact that I've mentioned to her before that I'm thinking about LS, makes me think I should just go for it.

I was lucky, my boss actually offered to write one my second week on the job. He knew I was planning to apply, and for some reson hired me anway. Although, I have waited a few months though because I wanted to give him time to get to know me better and have a more effective PS. I will officially ask when he gets off his vacation Monday and sees that I haven't burnt his office down in the last month.

When it comes down to it I think employeers and teachers just want to help you as much as they can. Just ask, I am sure they will be excited for you.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:04:58 PM »

I was lucky, my boss actually offered to write one my second week on the job. He knew I was planning to apply, and for some reson hired me anway. Although, I have waited a few months though because I wanted to give him time to get to know me better and have a more effective PS. I will officially ask when he gets off his vacation Monday and sees that I haven't burnt his office down in the last month.

When it comes down to it I think employeers and teachers just want to help you as much as they can. Just ask, I am sure they will be excited for you.

I worked as a teacher for a while and in some places they were just offended to no end that anyone would want to leave to pursue some other career. Even if you are in a field where turnover is high and they need to keep you, it doesn't mean that they won't make the rest of your days a living hell because they know you're leaving.

If possible, see if you can find other recommenders before going to the current one. Because law schools know that telling the current employer you will be leaving a year down the road can be a risky venture, they shouldn't hold it against you.

msvickee38

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 02:40:24 AM »
I too have contemplated asking my current boss. I decided against it. I'm second in command at my job and I don't want to cause my boss to panic. I have strong LORs right now so I figured it will be okay not to ask.  Now, he recently ran for city office and had it won I might have strongly reconsidered asking...but he didn't.

Ms V