Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Application Question  (Read 2600 times)

ls77

• View Profile
Application Question
« on: September 23, 2004, 09:06:44 AM »
Many schools ask you to list all other schools to which you have applied or intend to apply, including those in prior years, etc.
Is it necessary to list ALL schools...or even any of them?
What if you applied to many schools last year and were not accepted at most?   This won't look good on an application.   Or if you intend to apply to many schools this year, that might not look great either.
What is the advice on this?
Thanks.

chicago

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84 | 162
    • View Profile
Re: Application Question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 09:12:21 AM »
I was wondering the same thing.... (sorry, I don't have the answer). If I apply to school x, does school x have a way to find out which other schools I apply to (through LSAC or something)?

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 11:21:16 PM »
I am wondering the same thing too.  Does anyone have an answer?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 11:25:08 PM »
it's been rumored that law schools talk about applicants between each other ... so they could find out that way.

Also, all the schools you apply to could be listed in your LSAC report that gets sent out.  That report is kinda a mystery.

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 11:29:44 PM »
They can't REQUIRE you to tell them everywhere you're applying to, and I wouldn't think the list of other schools that you are applying to could be included in your LSAC report unless you specifically authorized the release of that info.

it's been rumored that law schools talk about applicants between each other ... so they could find out that way.

Also, all the schools you apply to could be listed in your LSAC report that gets sent out.  That report is kinda a mystery.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 11:30:24 PM »
But my list that i'm applying to isn't even finalized yet so I can't see how they would penalize someone for omitting one.  I think it might be used more for them to see what other schools are their benchmarks.  Maybe...

ruskiegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 05:05:28 PM »
It's a question of ethics and intergrity -- both values vital to the legal profession.  Sure, you can lie about which schools you have applied to, and, chances are, the admissions comittee will never know the difference.  However, if you are already approaching this process by cutting corners and withholding the complete truth, you probably will not change your attitude while in law school.  You will graduate and continue to perpetuate the very stereotypes the legal profession is working so hard to dispel.  It's just an application. You are only asked to list the schools, not to list your admissions results.  Yes, the ad comms of various schools do communicate, but it's not because they want to see where you were accepted and rejected.  They communicate in order to ensure consistency and ligitimacy of process.  By keeping in touch with other committees, they can catch unethical behavior such as plagiarism and misrepresentation.  I was rejected or waitlisted by every school in the UC system, but the highest ranked one accepted me.  I am certain that the ad comms within a system communicate, and obviously my admissions results from other schools had no bearing on my admission to Boalt.  Be honest -- start your legal career on the right foot.

Jamigo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 02:32:24 AM »
It's only for statistical purposes.

Gummo

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 03:56:12 AM »
It's a question of ethics and intergrity -- both values vital to the legal profession.  Sure, you can lie about which schools you have applied to, and, chances are, the admissions comittee will never know the difference.  However, if you are already approaching this process by cutting corners and withholding the complete truth, you probably will not change your attitude while in law school.  You will graduate and continue to perpetuate the very stereotypes the legal profession is working so hard to dispel.  It's just an application. You are only asked to list the schools, not to list your admissions results.  Yes, the ad comms of various schools do communicate, but it's not because they want to see where you were accepted and rejected.  They communicate in order to ensure consistency and ligitimacy of process.  By keeping in touch with other committees, they can catch unethical behavior such as plagiarism and misrepresentation.  I was rejected or waitlisted by every school in the UC system, but the highest ranked one accepted me.  I am certain that the ad comms within a system communicate, and obviously my admissions results from other schools had no bearing on my admission to Boalt.  Be honest -- start your legal career on the right foot.

This terrifies me.  I honestly didn't know all of the schools I intended to apply to at first.  How much do they communicate, and do they all communicate?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 06:07:24 PM »

This terrifies me.  I honestly didn't know all of the schools I intended to apply to at first.  How much do they communicate, and do they all communicate?
From what I understand and what I have heard from reliable inside sources, they only communicate if they suspect something fishy about an applicant.