Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Include Personal Statement for recommender?  (Read 1004 times)

hopefulgrl

• View Profile
Include Personal Statement for recommender?
« on: August 21, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
Is it really necessary to give your recommender your personal statement? I'm not applying to law school this cycle, however, I'd like to get a few recommendations before I graduate, and I definitely have not written a personal statement yet. So..my professor told me he has never written a law school recommendation before and that he'd like me to send him a few pointers. He's also an Econ professor, and there were no written papers in the class either. Besides the guidelines and my resume that I will give him, is it really necessary to write up some sort of personal statement to give him?  Is my resume alone sufficient?   Thanks

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: Include Personal Statement for recommender?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:32:48 PM »
A PS would help give him insight into who you are... and therefore a more personal LOR. But it is not necessary.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Include Personal Statement for recommender?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:30:51 PM »
I'd suggest supplying a draft of your PS, or better yet, a longer document that hits on the same themes and gives a lot of insight into who you are and why going to law school is a good life choice for you.

Ideally, letters will complement your application, and the better professors understand where you're coming from, the easier it will be for them to craft letters that will explicate positive qualities.

Remember: the purpose of letters or rec is primarily to guide the way ad coms interpret your resume and PS.