Law School Discussion

What gift are you sending your recs?

just dot

• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
What gift are you sending your recs?
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:17:02 AM »
Anna Ivey suggests a small box of chocolates or something of that nature.  Well, that seems odd to me!  I'm a female and all of my recs are males and it seems odd to me to send a man a box of chocolates.  What are you all sending your recommendors?  Any great ideas? 

just dot

• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: What gift are you sending your recs?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »
Is it proper etiquette to send gifts?  I thought a thank-you note would suffice.  I'm a 20-year-old male, and one of my recommenders is a 23/24 year old female grad student, and it just seems odd for me to give her a gift.

Really?  Ok.  Just a nice thank you note then?

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »
Gifts are good.
Gift certificates are fine if you can't think of anything else.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:23:56 PM »
Books. All of my recommenders received a book that I thought they would enjoy.

One of the advanatages to actually getting to know your professors is it makes buying thank-you gifts much easier.

Here are the novels I selected, in case any of you are looking for ideas:
-Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy
-You Must Remember This, by Joyce Carol Oates
-Perfume, by Partrick Suskind

All highly recommended...

Oh, and Anna Ivey's a walking cliché.

OperaAttorney

• Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:17:18 PM »
Anna Ivey suggests a small box of chocolates or something of that nature.  Well, that seems odd to me!  I'm a female and all of my recs are males and it seems odd to me to send a man a box of chocolates.  What are you all sending your recommendors?  Any great ideas? 

Chocolates from a female student to a male professor seems a bit odd to me. (I'd only do this if I knew the teacher well and knew he liked chocolate.)  To be safe, include a gift certificate with your thank-you card. 

Get your prof an iTUNES gift card if your prof is an APPLE owner and music lover. If your prof is an avid book reader--profs usually are--an AMAZON.COM gift card should suffice.  But if your prof is old school and prefers browsing the bookstore aisles, then add to his shopping experience by providing a BARNES  & NOBLE or BORDERS gift card.

I think it's awesome that you've chosen to do this.  Many students fail to show such gratitude.

Good luck to you.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
My recommenders are all hot babes and I'm giving them all some hot tongue action as a thank you.  But then again, I'm a total stud.  Maybe it's too generous of a gift.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 07:26:52 PM »
My recommenders are all hot babes and I'm giving them all some hot tongue action as a thank you.  But then again, I'm a total stud.  Maybe it's too generous of a gift.

3.95 GPA
166 LSAT
6 yrs in Pharmaceutical Sales
Nice going.  Adcoms will never figure out who you are and auto-ding you for that comment, especially when even one adcom is female.  LOL.  Goodbye, top 14?

Are you being facetious? I hope so. I'd be amazed if adcomms were scanning these boards looking for questionable commentary and then attempting to line said commentary up with an applicant's information.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 07:45:23 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't have the Bible of Anne Ivey, so I'm not sure what you're referencing. Let me guess, though: she claimed to have used online information in order to make decisions on admitting students into law school. So because she/others do this, an individual is precluded from entering a T14 school? Big leap there. I think he might -just- be safe from the Ivey Crusade for the moment.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »
I guess you're right. That guy better go buy a Cooley sweatshirt. He's screwed.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 07:56:28 PM »
Yeah, but he just might be absolved if he includes an addendum entitled "Posting In LSD About Making Out With My Recommenders: The Worst Decision of My Legal Career."

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just noticed the poster deleted all of his/her responses. Funny. ;]