Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What gift are you sending your recs?  (Read 5802 times)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
What gift are you sending your recs?
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:17:02 AM »
Anna Ivey suggests a small box of chocolates or something of that nature.  Well, that seems odd to me!  I'm a female and all of my recs are males and it seems odd to me to send a man a box of chocolates.  What are you all sending your recommendors?  Any great ideas? 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: What gift are you sending your recs?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:54:01 PM »
Is it proper etiquette to send gifts?  I thought a thank-you note would suffice.  I'm a 20-year-old male, and one of my recommenders is a 23/24 year old female grad student, and it just seems odd for me to give her a gift.

Really?  Ok.  Just a nice thank you note then?
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:57:20 PM »
Gifts are good.
Gift certificates are fine if you can't think of anything else.
CLS 2011

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:23:56 AM »
Books. All of my recommenders received a book that I thought they would enjoy.

One of the advanatages to actually getting to know your professors is it makes buying thank-you gifts much easier.

Here are the novels I selected, in case any of you are looking for ideas:
-Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy
-You Must Remember This, by Joyce Carol Oates
-Perfume, by Partrick Suskind

All highly recommended...

Oh, and Anna Ivey's a walking cliché.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 03:17:18 PM »
Anna Ivey suggests a small box of chocolates or something of that nature.  Well, that seems odd to me!  I'm a female and all of my recs are males and it seems odd to me to send a man a box of chocolates.  What are you all sending your recommendors?  Any great ideas? 

Chocolates from a female student to a male professor seems a bit odd to me. (I'd only do this if I knew the teacher well and knew he liked chocolate.)  To be safe, include a gift certificate with your thank-you card. 

Get your prof an iTUNES gift card if your prof is an APPLE owner and music lover. If your prof is an avid book reader--profs usually are--an AMAZON.COM gift card should suffice.  But if your prof is old school and prefers browsing the bookstore aisles, then add to his shopping experience by providing a BARNES  & NOBLE or BORDERS gift card.

I think it's awesome that you've chosen to do this.  Many students fail to show such gratitude.

Good luck to you.

"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »
My recommenders are all hot babes and I'm giving them all some hot tongue action as a thank you.  But then again, I'm a total stud.  Maybe it's too generous of a gift.

Steady Ascent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
My recommenders are all hot babes and I'm giving them all some hot tongue action as a thank you.  But then again, I'm a total stud.  Maybe it's too generous of a gift.

3.95 GPA
166 LSAT
6 yrs in Pharmaceutical Sales
Nice going.  Adcoms will never figure out who you are and auto-ding you for that comment, especially when even one adcom is female.  LOL.  Goodbye, top 14?

Are you being facetious? I hope so. I'd be amazed if adcomms were scanning these boards looking for questionable commentary and then attempting to line said commentary up with an applicant's information.

Steady Ascent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 09:45:23 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't have the Bible of Anne Ivey, so I'm not sure what you're referencing. Let me guess, though: she claimed to have used online information in order to make decisions on admitting students into law school. So because she/others do this, an individual is precluded from entering a T14 school? Big leap there. I think he might -just- be safe from the Ivey Crusade for the moment.

Steady Ascent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 09:50:26 PM »
I guess you're right. That guy better go buy a Cooley sweatshirt. He's screwed.

Steady Ascent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 09:56:28 PM »
Yeah, but he just might be absolved if he includes an addendum entitled "Posting In LSD About Making Out With My Recommenders: The Worst Decision of My Legal Career."

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just noticed the poster deleted all of his/her responses. Funny. ;]