Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What gift are you sending your recs?  (Read 5894 times)

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
Re: What gift are you sending your recs?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 10:42:28 AM »
Yeah, I decided to do restaurant gift certificates. I mean who doesn't love food?!

insomniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 06:13:12 PM »
fruit/food basket from where I now live (far from them)...

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 08:57:02 AM »
I take it these are typically sent AFTER the letter is received by LSDAS?

insomniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Unless you are hoping to subtly prod them into completing the letter...

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 10:36:37 PM »
I am just doing hand-written thank-you cards.  The few people I have talked to said it is almost bad form to send a gift.  Regarding the person who asked about bringing gifts to the admissions committee for giving a tour & interview, they all said that was application-suicide.

oreket din

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 02:35:38 AM »
Is the practice of giving gifts to recommenders mainly just on the coasts?  I feel like no one would be that ridiculous in the midwest...

kirchner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, that is a Promise Keepers t-shirt.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »
Is the practice of giving gifts to recommenders mainly just on the coasts?  I feel like no one would be that ridiculous in the midwest...

I'm from the east coast and it never occurred to me when applying to undergrad and grad schools to send gifts to my LOR writers.  To be honest, I'd never heard of sending gifts for LOR before I read this forum.  I buckled under the peer pressure and did it anyway.  Sent a book to my boss and $25 Amazon gift certificates to the other two. 

I think part of a professor's job is to write these letters, so if you are an undergraduate, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just give them plenty of time and information.  I'm a bit older and one of my old profs had already written me a LOR for grad school.  I figured that asking him to write me another letter 6 years later is more a favor than part of his job. 
Guitar Hero 2: 8,354,769
Applications submitted!

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 07:44:24 PM »
I am just doing hand-written thank-you cards.  The few people I have talked to said it is almost bad form to send a gift.  Regarding the person who asked about bringing gifts to the admissions committee for giving a tour & interview, they all said that was application-suicide.

Someone's actually contemplating buying gifts for the admission committees?  :D

Yep, I'm in a hurry now but I'll look up the post later on.

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 07:46:56 PM »
I have a Northwestern on-campus interview coming up in a few weeks. I am guessing that everyone brought their resumes but did it seem like the NW rep had looked over it previously? Did anyone bring gifts for the admissions staff?

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,96559.10.html

utilitarianjac

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 10:33:04 AM »
I go to a small private university where students have a slightly different relationship with their professors than would be possible elsewhere. Not only do I know my recommenders well, I also know their families.

I'm planning on buying a gift for both professors, not just for writing my LORs, but for everything they've done (advising me in undergrad, discussing schools and career options, etc.).

I don't think buying a gift is expected, but I certainly don't believe it is in bad form either. It's a simple way to express appreciation. What's wrong with that?