Law School Discussion

LIST: Schools who have Optional Essay

LIST: Schools who have Optional Essay
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:09:30 AM »
There's been some posts here that Columbia has a diversity statement, and I couldn't find anywhere in their application that this is the case. I thought it would be nice to create a post that sums up which schools ask for optional essays..
As far as I know, schools that have optional essay section are:

Michigan
Penn

Re: LIST: Schools who have Optional Essay
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:42:04 AM »
There's been some posts here that Columbia has a diversity statement, and I couldn't find anywhere in their application that this is the case. I thought it would be nice to create a post that sums up which schools ask for optional essays..
As far as I know, schools that have optional essay section are:

Michigan
Penn

Sometimes you have to look closely. The very last thing on Columbia's app asks for an optional diversity statement. Most schools either say they welcome statements or will allow you to submit one anyway.

Add to your list Duke, which asks for an optional academic statement or diversity statement.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »
great topic!
I also cannot find columbia's diversity statement.... is it in the actual application?
can someone post what they actually ask for?

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 10:02:10 PM »
fyi, it looks like for 2008 apps duke has dropped the optional academic essay and replaced it with a duke specific "why duke" type essay.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:11:07 AM »
Brooklyn & Fordham

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 06:01:10 PM »
Here's a list of the optional essays for the T50 schools that I discovered:

http://ihlaa.com/Institute180LSAT/Institute180LSATTop50LawSchoolsPersonalStatements.pdf

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 06:57:15 PM »
Here's a list of the optional essays for the T50 schools that I discovered:

http://ihlaa.com/Institute180LSAT/Institute180LSATTop50LawSchoolsPersonalStatements.pdf

This is a great idea and potentially really useful, but it seems to be out of date as Columbia now beckons you to submit an optional DS at the end of their application.  Additionally, I just submitted my materials to Duke last night and I recall them suggesting either a diversity statement or "Why Duke," rather than a DS or a discussion of an academic subject that has engaged you.  Also, UCLA has a space where you can explain socioeconomic disadvantage on your part and they say you can also attach it in another document, which sounds like an "optional essay" to me.

If someone would update that at the beginning of each cycle it would be an amazing resource.

Oh, my bad! I actually just discovered it today, and it was accurate for every school to which I applied so far (but then again, I'm aiming more for T25-T50 schools than T14 schools  :P).