Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where do you consider home?  (Read 7304 times)

gobears

Where do you consider home?
« on: September 23, 2004, 03:46:39 AM »
This is a random post, but I was just wondering where you guys are all from?  Like where do you consider "home"?  Not necessarily where you were born and/or raised, though obviously it could be the same.  I mean where do you consider home, like where your family is, your friends, boyfriend/girlfriend?  If a meteor was about to crash and wipe out all civilization as we know it in like a month or something, and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it, where would you go "home" to, to spend your last moments together with the ones you most love?  Home for me would be The OC, about an hour or so south of Los Angeles, where my family and friends are.

foxnewssucks

Re: Where do you consider home?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 03:51:29 AM »
I am at home when I am on stage, guitar in hand, under the bright lights, with my adoring fans chanting my name... actually, usually there are only 3 people in the dive bar and one guy is throwing something at us, but you get the point.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 03:52:33 AM »
When people at work ask where I'm from, I say Irvine.  That's where I used to live until I was 5 (born at UCI Medical Center in Orange), then we moved to La Crescenta, which sucked.  I went to UCI, and Irvine is my home.  The ultimate goal is to go back to that area as soon as possible.

When people ask where I live, though, the answer is West LA.  But Irvine has my heart.  We go back every weekend to see my boyfriend's parents, and I just miss it so much.  Life is so much better there, even just in the car.  I hate LA drivers, and I'm quickly becoming one.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 04:07:47 AM »
Before the TV show, was Orange County ever called "The OC"?  It seems that TV show has glorified the whole area as some snobish rich yuppie types.  And it's not.  Yeah, the coast looks real good on the TV, but I doubt too many rich lawyers actually go surfing, ie, get a quick surf in before going to work in the morning.  Sheshhhhhhhh.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

gobears

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 04:16:37 AM »
TDPookie, how funny!  You probably live close to where my family lives (they're like 15 minutes away from the Spectrum)!  And yeah, you're so right about life in OC vs. life in LA!  I can't stand the traffic either.  Especially downtown, it's so congested, etc.  But fortunately a lot of the big law firms seem to have offices down in OC too, so you could totally come back!  They seem to be either in Irvine or Newport Beach.  I'd love to work for MoFo's office down here, that'd be so sweet.

Swifty, yeah good point, I don't think anyone ever called Orange County The OC before the show (which maybe I'll stop doing, now that you mention it).  And yeah, not everyone's so well off even in OC.  There are parts of OC that aren't that great. Like north and central OC is much less "nice" than south OC, the more affluent part.  I've actually never even watched a single episode of the show, so I don't even know if it's actually filmed in OC. 

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 05:04:25 AM »
I just like the theme music "California"...it's catchy, plus that Misha girl is pretty hot.  I know, I'm a perv, but a well respected local radio talk show host said it's perfectly normal for him (50 years old) to find Britney Spears attractive.  So that's all that matters.   ;)
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 10:34:53 AM »
If I were president, and they wondered which city would have the honor of being "The President's Home Town," I would pick Austin.  I dislike Texas, but Austin is really nice, and out of the places I've lived, it's the best.

However, my first thoughts when I saw the topic were about how I haven't yet settled into a home.  I don't particularly identify with any of the places I've lived (with Austin, just because it's in texas).  I guess part of it would depend on where I go to law school and get my first job.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 10:47:37 AM »
I'd claim the Ohio Valley, although I didn't grow up there.

ZAP

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 12:04:02 PM »
About the OC: Yes, people called it that before the show, but it was probably just OC people.  I call it OC, without the "the."  The show popularized where the OC actually is.  And FYI, it's filmed in Malibu :)  But Newport Beach really does look that nice.  And the people in Laguna Beach really do look like those people.  My friend lives with a family whose daughter goes to Laguna Beach/Hills HS (don't remember which), and when she has parties, my friend said that it's this gathering of beautiful blond surfer-types.  Exactly what the stereotype would be :)

Bears, I'm totally looking forward to going back for a big firm after law school.  You're right, a lot of big firms have offices there.  Irell & Manella is another one; they're right next to Fashion Island.  I want to work for MoFo so I can just say that.  Ha ha :)  My sister keeps trying to tell me that I should work in LA first because it's more prestigious, you get more money, etc.  I keep telling her I don't want to be miserable when the endgoal is to be in OC after a few years anyway.  I'd rather take a paycut (not that it's that much; I won't be struggling to put food on the table) and just go straight to where I want to be. 

It's like that story about the guy that's fishing at a lake who fishes just as much as he plans to eat, and the businessman comes up to him and tells him he should fish more than he needs and sell the rest.  The fisherman asks why, and the businessman tells him that he could make money off the rest.  The fisherman asks what he would do with the money, and the businessman tells him that he could use the money to buy more fishing equipment so he could fish even more fish and increase sales.  The pattern continues with the fisherman asking what he would do with the increased money, and the businessman explains that he could then hire a couple fishermen to sell their fish too, and start a company, and have it grow, with the endgoal being that he can retire.  The fisherman asks what he would do when he retires, and the businessman tells him that he can do whatever he wants, even fish at the lake all day.

The moral of the story:  The businessman tells him to go through all these lengthy steps, but in the end, the fisherman is going to be doing the same thing he's doing right now.

Swifty: You're not a perv for thinking Misha is hot.  Now, if you meet her and then start hitting on her, there's a problem.  But finding her hot isn't enough to be anything negative.  It's like when girls Misha's age think Mel Gibson is hot, when he's much older.  Okay, maybe it's a little different, but still.  You get the point :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 12:08:11 PM »
Home is where I pay the mortgage and get to make the rules.