Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume question, specifically non-trad related  (Read 1070 times)

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Resume question, specifically non-trad related
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:27:05 PM »
Just finished Ivey's book and unfortunately she didn't give an example for how to handle gaps caused by staying at home with children (among other activities). She does say to definitely account for all time (as I understood it) so I have 2 4-year gaps to document. Any suggestions?

Plus, she makes very clear to stick to one page, but then rather dismissively says, unless you've been out in the world for 15 years. Well, I've been out of college for 17 years and see no way to list my jobs, education, activites in any kind of detail like she describes without 2 pages.

Edit: ya know, I've decided I'm just not that interesting and can cut it down to 1 page  :D

ctown

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Resume question, specifically non-trad related
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:07:38 AM »
2 pages is the new norm.  As for gaps, just don't address them.  If someone asks you during an interview be honest and tell them it was to raise your children. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and if an employer is going to dock you points for it they are not worth working for.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:19:02 AM »
For a law school resume, 2 pages is usually a must for non-trads since most schools ask for you to list every job you've had as an adult. Once you get to school, your career services offices will help you cut it down to one page to send out, but for now there is nothing wrong with 2 pages. Don't worry about the gaps either.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 12:14:59 PM »
Thanks to you both!

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:18:01 AM »
For a law school resume, 2 pages is usually a must for non-trads since most schools ask for you to list every job you've had as an adult. Once you get to school, your career services offices will help you cut it down to one page to send out, but for now there is nothing wrong with 2 pages. Don't worry about the gaps either.

List every job?  There no way I can even remember every job I've had since I was 16.

Yeah, I got gaps too, including much of the last two years where I've been just vagabonding around the US in an RV.

Usually it's every job you've had for more than 6 months as an adult- which I take to mean after high school if you went a non-traditional route or after college if you went the traditional route- basically anything that could be considered a "career" position, I guess.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
I went to the websites of the 10 law schools I hope to apply to (depending on that lsat score in sept) and checked out their application requirements if they had some up from last year or whatever. A few places said a 2-3 page resume. One said a 1-2 page resume. One specifically stated the last 8 places of employment.