Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT PreP Courses  (Read 11297 times)

Discover1913

• View Profile
LSAT PreP Courses
« on: August 17, 2007, 09:14:13 AM »
I've been researching different LSAT Prep Courses and have heard that TestMasters is the best.  I've visisted www.testmasters.com and testmasters.net.  Are these the same company? TestMasters.com guarentees your score will go up 10 points.  Has anyone taken either of these and if so, what has been your experience?  Are their any other courses given that you would recommend?  I hear horror stories about Kaplan and Princeton Review. 

Thanks.

J_

• Sr. Citizen
  • YOU! Yeah!!!! That guy!
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT PreP Courses
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:26:23 PM »
This is totally posted in the wrong place, but...

NO, they are NOT the same.   You want http://www.testmasters180.com/ (AKA scoreperfect if youre in texas).

My experience has generally been good. I have a solid and entertaining instructor, plenty of homework materials to use as practice (too many if you ask me ;) ), and at minimum 4 diagnostics (I'm taking an additional, optional one this weekend).

This diag ought to be a pretty good indicator of my progress
LLS '11

randaln

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:25:59 PM »
I took the MLIC LSAT course and that was kick-ass. Check it out at http://www.lsat-prep.us/LSATPREP.HTML

I've been researching different LSAT Prep Courses and have heard that TestMasters is the best.  I've visisted www.testmasters.com and testmasters.net.  Are these the same company? TestMasters.com guarentees your score will go up 10 points.  Has anyone taken either of these and if so, what has been your experience?  Are their any other courses given that you would recommend?  I hear horror stories about Kaplan and Princeton Review. 

Thanks.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 10:00:07 PM »
Save your money.  Skip the prep courses and get yourself the best tutor you can find.  Trust me.  If I had it to do over again thats what I would do.  Your own personal tutor will focus on your weaknesses and make the best use of your time.  A prep course will waste time while you listen ot others peoples weaknesses that rarely overlap yours.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:38:26 PM »

Thanks.

Quick note: Kaplan is no good, a damn waste of time and money.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

EPL

• Jose Arrogantio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »
Testmasters is completely useless too, in most cases.  It is all dependent on the instructor that you get.  I heard somewhere that the average amount of time that their average instructor has taught for is 1-2 sessions.

If I were you I would research all the different companies in your area (minus Kaplan and Princeton Review, which are generally always horrible) and see how experienced the instructors for each company in your area are.  If you do find one that has been teaching for a while then I would recommend taking a prep course with them, since I do believe that it is easier to score higher by taking a prep course.  However, if all of the instructors are inexperienced don't even waste your time and money with them.  Get the LR and LG Bibles and study on your own.

Hope this helps a bit.
Admitted: NYU, Georgetown

Deferred: Columbia, Northwestern

Waitlisted: UPenn, Berkeley, Michigan, Duke

Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »
There is a lot of variation between different courses.  In the end, it is a personal comfort/fit decision but it is also important to look at the types of practice tests they use.  Some companies skew the practice tests they use so definitely try to look for a company that uses authentic, official LSAT practice exams.  If you are still in doubt after researching them on your own, call the companies and ask to see a copy of their syllabus/sit in a class to get a better idea.  Most of them will be more than happy to let you do this.

jramire1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »
wow, all these people are really pissing me off... I'm not going to be stupid and speak about classes that I haven't taken like most of the people who have posted have (I mean if they had to take Testmasters, Princeton Review, and Kaplan they must be pretty stupid and you shouldn't listen to them anyway).  I am currently ENROLLED in Princeton Review and I'll give you some facts: They provide more hours of classroom instruction than Testmasters and Kaplan(100), Provide more diagnostic tests (10), Provide you with EVERY previous test ever administered, all the instructors have to have scored over 175 on all the tests they've ever taken (something the others don't do), and don't guarantee how high your score will go up because THERE IS NO GUARANTEE!! THAT'S LIKE THOSE EXERCISE EQUIPMENT COMMERCIALS GUARANTEEING YOU A SIX PACK IF YOU BUY THEIR EQUIPMENT!! THEY'RE BOGUS!!  Anyway, i've been in the course for a month now and there's only 8 kids in the class so there's plenty of time for private tutoring since our teacher gave us his phone number so we can call him anytime and schedule appts outside of class.  The first day of class I scored a 151 diagnostic.  It's been a month and I'm not scoring a 162 and have 2 months left till the June test.  I'm expecting to score close to a 170 which will be close to a 20 POINT JUMP.  This is just my experience, the only thing I can say is just don't go in there cold.  Hope this helps!! Good Luck!!

;)

catalogguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:20:46 PM »
I am surprised to hear the negativity regarding Kaplan.  I selected them because of their name.  So far I have been very impressed.  I am 2/3 through the course so cannot yet provide an analysis of my score change, but the quality of teaching has been first rate.  The class is small (7) and intimate.  The Kaplan methods of covering the various sections and types of questions seem thorough and comprehensive.  There have been several added bonuses. For example, today I will attend a special Saturday mock test and tomorrow will attend a special workshop.  These weekend activities continue Saturdays and Sundays until the exam on June 8.  I attended a workshop on personal statements and passed on the chance to go to other workshops that didn't interest me.  What's more, the online analysis is really useful.  It shows your strengths/weaknesses by problem type, subject area, and difficulty level.  The system generates study assignments based on the data.  What more could you want? 

I think a private tutor would be great!  But bang for the buck would be hiring the tutor after you complete the course.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 12:23:54 PM »
powerscore

or testmasters or a tutor through powerscore or testmasters

the rest are a waste of money
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King