Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your main target school?  (Read 13020 times)

KristyB

Re: Your main target school?
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2004, 11:49:33 PM »
Seattle U or a slight reach for USF. I am from the Northwest so it would be nice to stay on the West Coast. But NYC or DC would be just fine with me if I could get into American or a (reach) top 20. Another reach (almost target) is U of A, they have some great programs for Indigenous Rights and not too many schools have that.

GPA 3.26/LSAT practice: 155, 158, 161 and counting.

lexylit

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2004, 09:53:29 AM »
The more I hear about Penn, the more I think I like it.  I'd still "probably" take someplace comparably ranked like UVA over Penn, but I gotta admit, the Penn fever around these boards is contagious!

penn fever, eh? when i came on the board in june, someone started a thread called "penn is a ttt" and everyone chimed in about penn being a crappy excuse for an ivy and an overrated law school  :D

superiorlobe

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2004, 10:14:20 AM »
Yeah, I remember that thread.  It is still difficult for me to think of Penn as an Ivy.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2004, 10:41:49 AM »
Just remember that penis envy.  I mean, penn is ivy.

Ginatio

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2004, 12:36:44 PM »
Yeah, I remember that thread.  It is still difficult for me to think of Penn as an Ivy.

and it's still difficult for me to think of you as not being the unabomber...  :-\

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2004, 12:39:47 PM »

and it's still difficult for me to think of you as not being the unabomber...  :-\

everyone on XOXO thinks Penn is TTT.

;)

Ginatio

« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2004, 12:45:46 PM »

everyone on XOXO thinks Penn is third tier toilet.

;)

that's because no one knows anything about cornell

BLAKEAGGIE98

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - BlakeAggie98
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2004, 03:38:54 PM »
Super Reach = University of Houston (paid the 70 bucks though like an idiot just to hear no!)
Stretch = South Texas College of Law (Please oh please oh please!)
Safety= St. Mary's
South Texas College of Law here I come!

karenchoi

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2004, 02:47:28 AM »
I am applying to USF(close to home), however this is my last, last, last choice school. I am a graduate from Stanford University, and my main choices are UChicago, Stanford, Berkeley, Cornell, Duke, Emory, Georgetown, Northwestern, Harvard, NYU and Yale (this being my top choice). I am applying to safety schools as USF, University of Washington, American, Golden Gate, and UMass. My LSAT score was 170, and I graduated with a 3.6 GPA. I am 24, and have worked with several NGOs as well as having volunteered in Senegal for a summer. I will be applying next year, as I am currently working for a U.S. Rep. I am a little worried about these schools, because one of my best friends went to UChicago for her undergrad. She scored in the early 160s and had a 3.4 GPA, and has lived abroad - working for the Peace Corps, speaks Korean fluently, and has also worked for a human rights NGO in Chicago. She applied to all top tier schools and got rejected by every single one(sent out 9 applications, got rejected from all 9 - including UChicago's law school). The second time she applied - she applied to safety schools, she got into only one school Kent State, and is currently going there. I saw her law school application and statement, it was immaculate. It is hard, because all the schools I want to go to (UChicago, Cornell, Duke, Emory, Stanford, Berkeley, Georgetown, Northwestern, Harvard, NYU and Yale) are so excruciatingly hard to get into, with acceptance at a bare minimum. I heard for instance NYU Law averages 10,000 applicants each year and accepts such a low amount from that. It is almost impossible not to score in the 170s and have less then a 3.5 GPA and not have some really far out past careers and get into these schools(aka not someone that just volunteered for the standard Teach for America, Peacecorp or CityYear, Americorp) rather someone who worked in the UN, in the White House, a big law firm etc.) . I don't want to deter anyone from this post, but I also don't want people to feel really upset, if they apply to all these top schools, and get all rejections (I have had tons of intelligent, top-tier undergraduate friends get
rejected from top schools). It was so traumatizing for my UChicago friend, I mean she went to a top-tier school for undergraduate, did all these great things, scored high, was also a minority female.It's a hard market, everyone is applying to graduate schools - so it is unlikely that average candidates(in terms of scores, achievements, schooling) will get into a top   school. My suggestion is apply to mostly safety schools, 1-2 middle range schools and 1 reach school. You will be glad you saved the dough and the remorse of rejections    Good Luck everyone!

liberty shark

• Sr. Citizen
  • awesome.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - libertyshark
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2004, 03:21:57 AM »
apply to just ONE reach school?   :o

are you for real?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=libertyshark

They deal with morals as with mathematics;