Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: good idea or overkill?  (Read 932 times)

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
good idea or overkill?
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:14:43 PM »
Okay, so my original choice academic reccomender is having some serious personal problems and can't write me a letter (good thing I asked early!) So I will be asking my program director, who knows me very well and knows what classes I took, the awards I've won, how I compare to the other students (she can say that my 3.6 is actually top 10%!) and that I took challenging courses, but she won't be able to say, that my essay on X was marvelous (because she obviously won't know).

So since my academic reccomendation won't be "ideal" in that last sense, I'm going to get a work refrence (which will be good) and a volunteering refrence (which should be reasonable, but my volunteer work has been really important to me, and they can say I go above and beyond the normal volunteer requirements).

So is 3 too many? does it seem scattered or even and thought through? Should I drop one? Any suggestions?
university of southern california 2011

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: good idea or overkill?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:51:05 PM »
3 is not too many at all. Many schools accept 3 or even 4. Plus, if you have a school that only takes 2 you can pick the ones that will best fit that school.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:46:24 PM »
thanks penny

I'd love some more input, if any one has any....
university of southern california 2011

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »
3 definitely sounds reasonable, not at all overkill.  Your writers are well distributed, but be sure you read the suggestions/requirements for each individual application.  I found it surprising when applying to schools that some ask for 2 academic/teacher references.  Therefore, you'd have to find a professor, rather than a work/volunteer supervisor.  You'll want to follow these instructions if they do indicate.