Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 7572 times)

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do non-Trads get any kind of bump in admissions?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 12:15:32 PM »
Well, humm, my thoughts ...

You guys are leagues ahead of me. My letters will have to be from people who don't know me in my professional life, since professionally I've largely been bright and under-employed and therefore have professional contacts who would be motivated to undermine me. If ONLY I had "fit in" with the idiots ... but of course, then I'd have other problems on the resume, wouldn't I?

I'm fudging and fidgeting my way around this issue as best I can. I can of course get old old old profs to write something about me, but it's been years since I've been in touch and the letters will probably display that fact through vagaries and noncommittal generalizations.

I have a decent GPA, am working on killer LSAT but can't guarantee it, know that my letters will be weak or just ho-hum, and know that I am a good writer for the personal statement. It's just facts, ma'am. I would like to attend a top or second tier school, and I don't really think I'd "be happy" at a roughly thrid tier school just because of what I know about the caliber of the students. I met some law students, off and on here in New Orleans, from a variety of our schools, and none of them really impressed me as people I'd like to spend time with. Not that they probably aren't nice or friendly or whatever, but I've had a habitual problem throughout my life of not being able to "connect" with anyone who is below a certain level of intelligence (see work experience, above!). So I'm kind of entrapped in enforced intellectual snobbery. I don't MEAN to be like that but it just comes out that way.

I'd hope I can attend a school that might enable a wide range of geography in my employment options. I want to globetrot, or at least nationtrot, for my work. I wonder how much that might happen in specific fields of law and what I might need to do to get that going. Perhaps a lower-tier school that is nevertheless known for broad-traveling graduates, or for international law, or something like that, should be part of my targeting.

Ah, the letters are something we have only marginal control over anyway. Someone else writes them for us, to lesser or greater extent. I guess if something's going to be a disaster in my file it might as well be the stuff that's second-hand rather than first-hand ...

Because SHARKY and SCOTTLE have already made some great points, I'll try my best to avoid redundancy.  The top law schools are looking for leaders, people who can make things happen.  A failure to obtain good LORs from professionals or academics might well indeed sink your chances.  I don't know a thing about your "idiotic" coworkers, but I do know that assuming a defeatist position will not get you very far. With 10+ years of WE you MUST have an LOR from an employer! 

Don't dismiss getting an LOR from a former professor so readily either.  I may be wrong, but you seem to convey a lack of a desire to do the necessary groundwork.  Professors are usually glad to hear from former students; I sincerely doubt yours will act differently.  Also, switching to law due to lacklustre performance in the real world isn't something I'd encourage you to intimate in your application file.  Yes, many people do it, but the most successful applicants find more convincing (and cleverer) things to say.  If you doubt me, read Anne Ivey's The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions, How to Get into Law School by Susan Estrich, and Richard Montauk's How to Get Into the Top Law Schools.
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »
I've had a habitual problem throughout my life of not being able to "connect" with anyone who is below a certain level of intelligence (see work experience, above!). So I'm kind of entrapped in enforced intellectual snobbery. I don't MEAN to be like that but it just comes out that way.

That cracked me up.  Sorry.  Just did.  I am so the reverse of that, finding it easier to connect with those people for whom intellectual pursuits are secondary at best.  Happy hour anyone?  :D

Yeah. I'm sorry, final_ID, but I cracked up after reading this one.  In my opinion, the only folk with any rights to intellectual snobbery include Isaac Newton, Georg Friedrich Handel, Einstein, Thoreau, Dr. Ben Carson, etc.  But I'll bet you they all found ways to interact effectively with the "common" man.  It's hard to get through life any other way.  Think about it.

Good luck.
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

bachja13

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 03:00:49 PM »

This is a really good point:  Remember that professor from 20 years ago I was trying to track down?  The current chair of the department found him, let him know I was looking for him, and I got an email from him last week - he's thrilled to write me a LOR!  Plus, it was really good to catch up with him (he made a tremendous impression on me, more so than just about anyone in my academic career (tied with my other academic LOR and high school Latin teacher.))

I've had a similar experience. I wasn't able to find any professors, but was able to reconnect with a work intern program advisor and a former supervisor who were both happy to help. The supervisor said she had thought of me often over the years and had recently pulled out a card that I had given her when I left her office. I was terribly embarrassed to contact them after 15+ years, but they couldn't have been more gracious.

Last week I spoke to my current employer, who said he'd be happy to give me a recommendation and help me work around a part-time school schedule.

The application process, no matter how it turns out for me, has been worth it simply because I've been forced to look back, look forward and really think about my life.

scottie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 04:30:48 PM »
Congratulations bachja13.  That is great on all counts.  And I wish you the very best on your application process. 

Congratulations, you've proved something that doesn't matter.

final_id...  seriously?  Here is what I think!/

----------------------------------
Why am I doing this again?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=scottieUT

bhoaresclub

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 08:30:01 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking I might do for my law school applications:

1) Write a personal statement about how everyone in my professional life has been an idiot, especially my bosses

2) Write a diversity statement saying I had no real career because all my coworkers were black and didn't like me

3) Write my own LOR since all other letters would be "second-hand," and thus pointless

4) As a theme, sprinkle my entire application with vocabulary that was pedantic and poorly used

Sound like a good plan?

scottie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 09:31:41 PM »
 TITCR :)

But seriously final_id, if you would like someone to read over your PS or resume and provide constructive criticism I would be happy to help.  You already have my constructive thoughts on getting LORs.  The rest of my commentary is meant to help you relax a little.  Feel free to send me a PM on here.
----------------------------------
Why am I doing this again?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=scottieUT

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 11:31:38 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking I might do for my law school applications:

1) Write a personal statement about how everyone in my professional life has been an idiot, especially my bosses

2) Write a diversity statement saying I had no real career because all my coworkers were black and didn't like me

3) Write my own LOR since all other letters would be "second-hand," and thus pointless

4) As a theme, sprinkle my entire application with vocabulary that was pedantic and poorly used

Sound like a good plan?

I am really glad other people are picking up on this theme.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »
You really should make the 'bunny with a pancake on its head' a key point in your personal statement. I think it nicely resolves any questions that the AdCom may have as it simultaneously demonstrates the unique characteristics and qualifications that law schools look for in selecting a diverse student body. (-:B
Rob

St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

bhoaresclub

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 12:19:52 AM »
Sounds like a flame? 

5) Have a killer LSAT score due to my awesome logic skills

msvickee38

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »
I'm glad to hear it's not so bad I am early on here but would like to know how long you studied for the LSAT? Anything in particular helpful to you? And about the Honors program you did, was ithard to get ito? I am already at one college but want to transfer to the Honors program at another. Does anyone know if this is possible, I want to do the Honors to make it look better for law school. I will be 38yrs old when I apply for law school. The highest may GPA will probably be is like a 3.5, I totally messed up early on in life and didn't take it seriously-live and learn.UUUGGG

I too will be 38 when I apply to law school. My undergrad GPA was a 3.6 and my grad was 4.0, plus I served a year with AmeriCorps (the domestic version of the Peace Corps) and have some interestin work experience. Although my LSAT score was not what top school look for, I think I'll have an edge on the recent college graduate who has a high LSAT score and no life experience.