Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to bring to orientation?  (Read 2209 times)

CGEsq

• View Profile
What to bring to orientation?
« on: August 15, 2007, 04:51:19 PM »
I assume I won't need my laptop.  But should I bring my backpack?  I have a binder of reading materials we had to complete, should I carry them on their own?  I don't want to be the only one lugging a bag around if I don't have to... I probably should have thought about this before.

icequeen

• View Profile
Re: What to bring to orientation?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »
business cards

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »

icequeen

• View Profile

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 05:22:02 PM »
Just bring a folder with your assignment in it and for any other handouts they give you.

melisssasue

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alemanmelissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:27:13 PM »
must everyone at my school brought a laptop and "briefcase".  We did a some configuring for the wireless network and work with westlaw and lexis a little bit.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 06:13:51 AM »
Dress and bring what you would normally bring to school.  Maybe dress on the high end of what you would normally wear.  And just bring what you're going to bring normally.  A bag with a laptop, pens/pencils, a notepad, highlighters.  Don't bring books though, probably won't need them.

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 10:58:02 AM »
Did your school send you an orientation schedule?  If so, look at it and see whether or not you will need any textbooks the first day (chances are you won't).  If you are going to be given panels and presentations all day, sitting in the same room, wear layers so that you can be comfortable.  If you are going to be up and moving around a fair amount (tour of the school, a lot of room changing, etc.), wear comfortable shoes.

You probably will not need your laptop, but you may want to bring it so that you can get it hooked up to your school's network, or to give you something to do if you get bored. 

A few "just in case" things to bring--a copy of immunizations, an official transcript from undergrad, a copy of the orientation schedule, and a list of phone numbers for the school.  (These will all fit into one folder, which you can easily fit into your book bag, and you should have a copy of these on hand anyway.)

Along with that bring a notebook, some pens/pencils, some cash (in case you want to get a drink/latte/food/etc.), your cell phone (which you'll probably want to put on vibrate or silence), your keys, and your wallet.  Make sure you have your driver's license or other photo identification (because some schools require identification prior to making your school i.d.)

A lot of schools have you take a facebook picture the first day of orientation along with an ID picture, so wear something that will flatter your face (because those pictures will follow you through three whole years).  Unless you wear something completely ridiculous, your teachers/administrators will not remember you, so don't worry so much about what they will think.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:16:54 AM »
Read your orientation schedule! The first day we bought books and did a service project, so it was critical to dress in crappy clothing and leave everything at home except an empty backpack and a lock for our locker.

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
If laptops aren't required I'd think you wouldn't need it. I brought my materials in a very small like 1/2 inch binder so I didn't look like a loser with a backpack, but then almost everyone had their bag. So the second day I brought my backpack.  I would say look at your schedule, if you're doing a lot of like, break out sessions, bring your materials, paper and pens.

OH and like someone said, cash, your ID, the normal stuff you should bring everywhere.  ALSO make sure you know if they are feeding you or not.