todesgebruell

acceptable topic?
« on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
-

annita

• View Profile
Re: acceptable topic?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »
My parents raised me in one of the less common denominations of christianity, old fashioned to the point where women routinely wear head coverings, etc, which needless to say had an effect on my life...i also don't think there's a lawyer in the congregation i attended, because of religious objections to being part of the legal system. 

I never joined the church and probably never will, but one of the main points of emphasis in the church that I always held to and still hold to is the importance of service to others by playing the role of peacemaker.  i've held various volunteer positions throughout my life that reflect this commitment. 

in addition, a quote about the lawyer playing the role of peacemaker is attributed to a famous historical relative of mine, so i'd probably work that in.

acceptable topic to write about?  think it could be effective?

I think your idea sounds great. Just remember to keep the P.S. focused on you and what you personally bring to law school and the legal profession. You might consider also writing a "diversity statement" that elaborates on the peculiarities of your religious upbringing.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 07:17:51 PM »
My parents raised me in one of the less common denominations of christianity, old fashioned to the point where women routinely wear head coverings, etc, which needless to say had an effect on my life...i also don't think there's a lawyer in the congregation i attended, because of religious objections to being part of the legal system. 

I never joined the church and probably never will, but one of the main points of emphasis in the church that I always held to and still hold to is the importance of service to others by playing the role of peacemaker.  i've held various volunteer positions throughout my life that reflect this commitment. 

in addition, a quote about the lawyer playing the role of peacemaker is attributed to a famous historical relative of mine, so i'd probably work that in.

acceptable topic to write about?  think it could be effective?

Interesting... I'd like to read it.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 09:27:07 PM »
I think you really have something there. I'd love to read it too.

todesgebruell

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:04:26 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement!

OK, I just punched out a really really rough draft this morning.  Anyone care to read it? 

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
PM it to me.

papercranes

• Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:17:19 AM »
I'd skip the quote.

To me, quoting other people suggests that you're admitting that someone else has said something better than you're even willing to attempt (I don't mean that to be harsh, it's JMHO). The statement is about you, not about how witty or articulate someone else might be.

todesgebruell

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:28:39 AM »
PM it to me.

Sent...thanks for your help  :)

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 11:22:03 AM »

OK, I just punched out a really really rough draft this morning.  Anyone care to read it? 

PM it to me.

todesgebruell

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »

PM it to me.

sent