Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mixed Race applicants and choosing which box to check  (Read 3186 times)

rempli2

• View Profile
Re: Mixed Race applicants and choosing which box to check
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 12:27:10 PM »

Do they say this out loud?   ???

No, but that isn't the point.

If you saw me, and were asked to identify my race, you would say I'm black.  That's essentially a good guideline for what box to check, because my experience in this world has been that of a black woman.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »
Except all the black women say, "there goes that white girl".  :P
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 05:58:17 PM »

Do they say this out loud?   ???

No, but that isn't the point.

If you saw me, and were asked to identify my race, you would say I'm black.  That's essentially a good guideline for what box to check, because my experience in this world has been that of a black woman.

Okay, fair enough

Let me first note that I don't have a problem with anyone taking advantage of the system as currently structured.  However, I have a couple questions for you, if you feel like answering them (and it's obviously find if you don't):

1.  Would you say your family income was below average?  Did this lead to you attending inferior schools?  If so, do you feel that was a greater impediment than your ethnicity?

2.  How exactly would you say your ethnicity has affected your academic achievement?  Do you feel it prevented you from doing as well academically as you could have?