Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Single Mom In LS  (Read 880 times)

KANVIS

• View Profile
Single Mom In LS
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »
I am the single mother of a 10 year old boy, and I plan to apply for LS this year. I have put off law school for a while because my son had to have a couple of open heart surgeries. His prognosis has dramatically improved and his cardiologist doesnít anticipate that he will need any further surgery within the next ten years. I am a little apprehensive about raising a child while tackling the infamous one L :-\  If you can offer any insight or strategies PLEASE respond.

BTW I am posting this in BLSD because I am an African American woman, and you guys have truly inspired me over my last couple of years on BLSD. ;D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Single Mom In LS
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:12:01 PM »
I can't offer any insight (obviously) but I will say that I have seen several sisters go through all 3 years of LS successfully while maintaining a youngster at home.  They basically had a lot of support from fam, but it was definitely doable.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »
Have you taken the LSAT?  What's your GPA like?  What schools are you considering?

You can definitely do it but you need to think about those things all other applicants have to think about... apps will be out in a few weeks.  You want to apply as early as possible.

Where do you live?  Do you want to stay near family?  Will they help you?

KANVIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »
Thanks Sands...I am applying everywhere. I only have a 3.4 because my son had to have emergency surgery during 2 semesters. I graduated from a top 10 public. I am going for the sept 29 LSAT and right now my scores are in the 169-174 range. I only have family in California, so I may not end up near them. My son is a great kid; I just donít want him to feel too lonely. My cousin has offered to live with me for a year to do laundry, errands, and to take my son to local museums...But only if I get into a school in a metropolitan area.

BTW I'm hoping I can get my score up---I worked for a year to hire a private LSAT tutor, and the schedule he devised for me should raise my score a little by test day...At least I hope so  ;)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
You sound like you're well on your way already.  Enjoy law school.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

OCLawGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »
Hi KANVIS!

I just PM'd you. I'm a single mom in California, I have a 3.41 gpa and I'm a also an African-American (actually African). I'm taking the Sept LSAT. 

You sound so much like someone my Tutor told me about (inspiring).

Feel free to PM me.
 :)

"Yes, I'm URM!  And if you think for a min that I'm going to turn down any law school acceptance 'cause you feel I don't deserve it, you must be high on something.  I'm not giving up my seat at the front of the bus! Deal with it!" - LSN Unknown

Funia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »

And take time out to do fun things with your son.  ;D

KANVIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:44 AM »

And take time out to do fun things with your son.  ;D

I swear I know the name of every Pokeman action figure ever created!!! We recently went to an aquarium and got the chance to pet sharks...Even though my son tried to be the "big man" my little guy still held my hand super tight :)

Thanks to everyone that has responded :)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 04:07:52 PM »
It's doable.  But I don't think u needed to hear that from anybody because u seem so determined.  :)  I don't have kids but one of my friends in LS did.  Basically her kids became our kids.  We had a similar schedule so whoever could babysit, did.     She 2 young girls and came straight from undergrad as a slightly older student.  The kids were there at the study sessions and basically everyone just made it work.  We all had some kind of hurdle so ppl were real cool about it.  The fam was local so they did most of the work and we pitched in as well which made it a little easier for her to go thru.     
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King