Law School Discussion

Straight Razors

Re: Straight Razors
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 01:38:52 AM »
I tend not to shave out of pure laziness.

Me too! You've survived law school so far with this habit?

Well that gives me hope, dammit

So far? Sure, but I haven't even finished the first semester yet. :D

:-\

Really? Maybe I'm confusing you with stan.

I'm still refusing to shave

A lot of people seem to do that lately, and for no good reason too. I am duck, darnit!

:D duly noted
Well you're both veterans here, sort of. You should consider it a compliment

I'll overlook your mistake just this once.

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 01:47:13 AM »
Thank you for showing such mercy. Truly you are a noble man :)

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 01:51:19 AM »
Thank you for showing such mercy. Truly you are a noble man :)

Anything for a fellow lazy non-regular-shaver

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 07:58:19 PM »
Do not go straight unless (a) you have a new blade or a freshly sharpened one and (b) you have practiced for at least two weeks on a very ripe tomato.

I recommend: a Vulvix real badger brush; a double-edge (DE) safety razor (Merkur "Classic," "Hefty," or "Long" and Merkur SS blades are good); and Taylor of Bond soap or cream mixed hot in one of those big capuccino mugs.

FYI: DE blades work excellently on coarse or curly hairs and prevent bumps.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 01:30:37 PM »
I used to buy my ex trips to a barber for an old-fashioned shave (with straight razor, fresh whipped shaving cream, hot towel, the works - lasted like two hours).  He loved them.

Hi.  :-*

Elephant Lee

• Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 11:28:26 AM »
I got fed up with my Schick Quattro recently--the cartridge was impossible to clear of hair. I had to decide whether to spend ~$17 or so on 8 more cartridges or invest in a traditional double-edged/safety razor that would cost less in the long run. I ordered a Merkur HD and 100 Israeli Personna Super+Platinum blades. The blades cost about the same as a pack of 8 cartridges, but they should last for the better part of two years. I don't have the money for a badger brush right now and such things offend my vegetarian sensibilities, so I just got some Musgo Real shaving cream.

While researching my options I discovered that there is a bizarre shaving sub-culture on the web. Most of them seem like addicts/collectors who horde shaving products in search of the perfect shave.