Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study aids?  (Read 2350 times)

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Study aids?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 09:49:35 PM »
One of my prof's had an E&E book as a required text, another one specifically recommended the series at orientation today. I think more profs are accepting that they're a valuable source, so long as you still read the cases.

law_3000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 10:11:04 PM »
Try the interactive study aids at at www.interactivelegaltools.com. They've got a free video of exam tips by a Michigan professor, and you can download audio or video lectures for first year classes. The lectures are pretty short (under 5 hrs), so it's a good overview of first year courses.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 12:34:18 AM »
you need the E&E's for the classes you are taking.  they are a godsend.  the outlines are also crucial.  clearly you need to read each and every case assigned (and two or three times) but the E&E's coupled with the outlines will give you crucial elements that the fiercely edited cases in the casebooks do not cover (many even find it useful to read the outlines before the actual cases) especially that "black letter law" most professors forget to dwell on until it's exam time.  as for briefing cases, this is an egregious waste of time.  unless you are called upon and come across as hostile or deliberately stupid (which you won't be if you've read each case at least twice along with the complimentary outline and E&E material), your class participation counts for zero.  i also strongly recommend (in order) LEEWS (with the CD's) PLS II, and Delaney's Intro to Logical Reasoning and his Exam Taking books.  Your take on expense is understandable but sadly inadequate.  for all the money you are spending on school, you can ill afford to skim on books which will give you the advantage you need to excel.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »
I'm waiting until classes get started and I can talk to some 2Ls and see what they recommend. Maybe the prof will recommend something. I already have one for Torts because it was listed as a required text on the syllabus.

This is the best advise thus far. A caveat on study aids is that what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else, but figuring out what was best for most based on a particular professor is a good place to start.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »
For those on the ghetto route in law school, you can't beat Wikipedia when it comes to case briefs, especially for con law. Another great source is using other student's outlines. Why reinvent the wheel when you can get an outline from a student who already took the class and (hopefully) cranked out a good grade. Some commercial supplements are good, but it all depends on what your professor is ultimately looking for. Some professors really want the black letter law, others want alternative points of views and red herrings. Again, I think your best source will be upperclassmen. Most schools have a mentoring program with 2Ls & 3Ls, don't be afraid to ask these people for help and/or outlines. I can't think of a singler person in my class that hasn't at least looked at another student's class notes, outlines, flow chart, or other study materials.

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 06:31:49 PM »
It appears law school courses a much more similar than I thought to what I did in the two legal classes we had at my undergrad (crim law and civ liberties). The only study aid I needed for those was oyez.org when I was having trouble with a case. Is the only benefit of these pay for study aids that oyez won't have non-supreme court cases (i.e. are these study aiids basically just oyez on steroids)?
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

valorebooks1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 07:40:10 PM »
Legalines and Casebriefs are the standard
High Court Briefs and Law in a Flash Cards are also great
But at deep discounts:
Great 5% off coupon valorebooks.com Code: 5%PROMO
just wanted to share 5% off any purchase textbook coupon
Code: 5%PROMO
enter at checkout
save lots ...

agroothuis

• View Profile
    • www.learnthelaw.org
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 04:13:37 PM »
Preface this with saying I work for this organization, though we are a non-profit and you can get all of our stuff for free if you go to a member law school (which is virtually every law school).

Check out CALI Lessons.

www.cali.org/lessons

Lessons are free to students, really interactive, written by law professors, and totally computer-based.

If you want to know how to get a user account, contact your school's CALI Contact (http://www2.cali.org/index.php?fuseaction=members.contacts) or shoot me an email: agroothuis@cali.org.

CALI's blog for pre-laws:
http://calis_pre-law_blog.classcaster.org/blog/

CALI's website for pre-laws:
www.learnthelaw.org

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »
Preface this with saying I work for this organization, though we are a non-profit and you can get all of our stuff for free if you go to a member law school (which is virtually every law school).

Check out CALI Lessons.

www.cali.org/lessons

Lessons are free to students, really interactive, written by law professors, and totally computer-based.

If you want to know how to get a user account, contact your school's CALI Contact (http://www2.cali.org/index.php?fuseaction=members.contacts) or shoot me an email: agroothuis@cali.org.

It seems that UVA no longer gives its students access to Cali... sigh

agroothuis

• View Profile
    • www.learnthelaw.org
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 04:44:34 PM »

Check out CALI Lessons.

www.cali.org/lessons

It seems that UVA no longer gives its students access to Cali... sigh

Yep. I believed they decided not to renew this year.

One of the, maybe, six ABA schools that do not provide access for their students.

Feel free to contact your school administration if you miss us. We miss you!  ;)
CALI's blog for pre-laws:
http://calis_pre-law_blog.classcaster.org/blog/

CALI's website for pre-laws:
www.learnthelaw.org