Law School Discussion

Study aids?

Study aids?
« on: August 11, 2007, 02:58:12 PM »
OK, aside from your main required texts, what are all of you getting or what did you find helpful in 1L? I have the E&E for contracts so far. Bad thing is, I can't afford much.

skeeball

• View Profile
Re: Study aids?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:00:27 PM »
I'm waiting until classes get started and I can talk to some 2Ls and see what they recommend. Maybe the prof will recommend something. I already have one for Torts because it was listed as a required text on the syllabus.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 07:05:47 PM »
That's a good idea. I think I may follow your lead. :)

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:03:06 AM »
I swear by Emmanuels (except I used Gilberts for Property).  But Emmanuels was my lifeline.

wolfpack2

• I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 11:00:07 AM »
I was going to buy a few study aids in the second or third week of class, to see what I need and what other people were using.  At orientation the librarian showed us that they have multiple copies of the major study aids for every class. One of the 3Ls on our student board did say he used "High Court Summaries" so I'm going to check those out, because they aren't at our library.

Butters Stotch

• Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »
I read the E&E books and worked some of the hypos over the summer.  I think they are great.  Some folks have also recommended getting an emanual outline keyed to your particular text, but I haven't done that yet. 

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
It seems everyone says not to use commercial outlines too much, but it seems all law students use it? What I did for my undergrad is buy my books online used, I've looked at some of the emanuel and gilbert outlines, they are pretty cheap used. It seems a lot of people recommend them to a certain extent (e.g., http://www.pashalaw.com) But I'll try it and see.

jd06

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 12:34:42 PM »
It seems everyone says not to use commercial outlines too much, but it seems all law students use it? What I did for my undergrad is buy my books online used, I've looked at some of the emanuel and gilbert outlines, they are pretty cheap used. It seems a lot of people recommend them to a certain extent (e.g., http://www.pashalaw.com) But I'll try it and see.

This is so true.  Professors and some holier than thou fellow students will tell you that you don't need 'em, but the bookstore can't keep 'em on the shelf.  I agree with the above poster re Emmanual's - they were my lifeline as well.  Enable you to synthesize and make sense of the pile of case law thrown your way.  These common law concepts have been around for hundreds of years - no sense reinventing the wheel.  That work has already been done for you so you can spend your time actually preparing for exams rather than perparing an outline...

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 02:15:50 PM »
The only reason professors tell you not to use supplements is because they are worried that students will quit reading the case and doing their own briefs.  Doing the actual reading and your own briefs is extremely important because that teaches you to extract the relevant facts and spot issues.

BUT---sometimes is it tough to point out the rule of law, or the issue ect and the supplements make sense of it all.  So....use the supplements to actually supplement your reading, but not as a short cut.

But saying not to use them all all is complete BS IMO.  Use them,  don't abuse them. 

jd06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 03:04:12 PM »
The only reason professors tell you not to use supplements is because they are worried that students will quit reading the case and doing their own briefs.  Doing the actual reading and your own briefs is extremely important because that teaches you to extract the relevant facts and spot issues.

BUT---sometimes is it tough to point out the rule of law, or the issue ect and the supplements make sense of it all.  So....use the supplements to actually supplement your reading, but not as a short cut.

But saying not to use them all all is complete BS IMO.  Use them,  don't abuse them. 

Very well stated.  I read and briefed every case, as well.  The commercial outlines simply enable you to efficiently and effectively tie it all together.