Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I still get a student loan?  (Read 3005 times)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
Re: Can I still get a student loan?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 07:01:10 PM »
Ok, I've looked into these loans and all. Stafford unsubsidized would suit me well, only I don't want something that pays the school and then they give me the excess. I may just deal with credit card interest rates.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

sharky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 07:52:38 PM »
I second the other posters who suggest you just visit your school's financial aid webpage...

If that's too intimidating, try www.myrichuncle.com

But for a major financial decision, I'd recommend doing about 10 minutes of actual research that could save you big money on the other side...

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 08:17:36 PM »
Yeah, I saw my rich uncle, and I've also seen some offers from my credit card companies (and my mom's bank...I have no money there and we don't share a last name...weird). I may look into those, but I may just deal with credit card interest rates.
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
(3.23 169)

sharky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
Well, at least get credit cards with introductory 0% APR...

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »
Well, at least get credit cards with introductory 0% APR...

Well, then I would have to do a transfer which would be good on the rate I would pay on the new card but bad on the rate I'd pay on these cards for transfering out (they always have fees). Honestly, the more I look at this the more I think maybe I'm worrying for nothing, my credit card rates aren't tooooo bad.

Well..I can save ~5% going with a loan from access group which is a preferred vendor for my school. And I run into the problem of needing referrences. Didn't realize that bit. Won't be able to do that. Long story, but my closest US citizen relatives (parents) won't be listed...
(3.23 169)

sharky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 11:35:35 AM »
Or you could pay of the balance quickly on the old cards while putting new spending on the 0% cards...

... but then again, you being lazy is what lets me never have to pay interest on credit cards. :)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 12:58:10 PM »
Or you could pay of the balance quickly on the old cards while putting new spending on the 0% cards...

... but then again, you being lazy is what lets me never have to pay interest on credit cards. :)

I've got 6, mostly unused, cards...don't need any more. Plus, new spending isn't a problem, the problem is this one, big, unforseen expense that's already on a card.
(3.23 169)

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 01:49:31 AM »
Why not get a stafford loan to pay tuition/living expenses and have your dad cut you a check for his share?

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 07:03:37 AM »
Why not get a stafford loan to pay tuition/living expenses and have your dad cut you a check for his share?

Simple: because he won't. He's got a bit of a point: they both did tell me not to budget so closely because unforseen expenses have a way of coming up, but I didn't listen. Since I got myself into this spot, I have to get myself out without them doing anything is the rule.
(3.23 169)