Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Having a career in law and a family  (Read 475 times)

sh89

• View Profile
    • Email
Having a career in law and a family
« on: August 11, 2007, 12:51:55 PM »
(Is this the best forum for this post?)

I've been doing extensive research as to the daily life of lawyers, and, as is usual with the unpredictable internet, I am getting mixed and varied answers.

The common consensus,however, is that "lawyers work long,long hours,and often on weekends." Some websites imply that it's not easy raising a family with a career in law.

This has been troubling me a lot lately. I love law(I've read some of my mom's cases--she's a real state broker not a lawyer,though). I do know that being a lawyer is not like what one would see on tv, but I don't care because it fascinates me anyway.

However, I really want to "settle down" and have a family too(though later on in my life--perhaps my later 20s). I know it may sound cheesy for an 18 year old to say that,but it's what I want.

Anyway,should I take what I read on the internet like a grain of salt, or is having a career in law so time consuming that one would not have time to see his family? Or is this only true for those who work in big firms?Do those who have their own small practice have a better family life?

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Having a career in law and a family
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »
Are you male or female?  Because if you are male it *might* be slightly easier, since you wouldn't have to deal with whole "pregnancy thing," but in many cases law is a demanding field, as far as I understand.

There are, however, options in the legal field for careers that are slightly less demanding (and may or may not pay less).  If you really love the law and you really want a family, you will find a way to make it work ... I mean, most/many lawyers DO have families, so it must be possible.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 03:11:55 PM »
The hours and quality of life vary depending on the type of law you practice. For example, if you want to make a lot of money, you will end up working long hours where the corporate culture is made of workaholics with a 2000 hour billable year. If you will sacrifice $$$ for flexibility, then you have more options available to you-- small firm, government work, in-house law positions, legal counsel for a non-profit, etc.

You are 18. My best advice is to take classes that interest you and to take advantage of any career aptitude testing offered by your university. Also, do as many internships in as many fields as interest you. You can get a better feel for what you might enjoy as a career.

Also, remember that your interests will grow and change over the course of your life. What excites you at 18 may bore you at 25. It's good to have a long-term master plan-- but build some flexibility into that plan. You may have wanted to be a teacher your entire life, but maybe something will happen in the course of your education and experiences that makes you realize you really want to be an engineer who designs roller coasters. Go with it-- do your research, talk to professionals in the fields that interest you and have fun.
Vanderbilt 2010

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 05:37:07 AM »
there are plenty of lawyers who work 40-50 hours a week and don't ever smell the office on weekends.

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:29:21 AM »
I second what Ms. McCoy has to say. I've met examples of both too - people who keep incredible hours at work and (seem to) make huge wads of cash, but also the lady around the corner who practices employment law from a room in her house. She probably doesn't make nearly as much as the others, but she's happy and living her life the way she wants to. Probably the key to the latter road is to graduate without much debt and to make and work your connections like crazy.

Good luck!
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:50:20 AM »
Sup dude.

I'm glad you didn't get caught up in that bridge tragedy.
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.