Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any 4.0 students here?  (Read 938 times)

headkiss

• View Profile
    • Email
Any 4.0 students here?
« on: August 11, 2007, 01:15:41 AM »
hey all.First a little background. I'm 25, married with kids ad just completed a my first semester of college. Due to the stress of juggling school and family i didnt do so well. However this summer i did a lot of research on going to law school and finally decided it's for me albeit a bit late. I used a gpa a calculator and figured out that a i would need to ace most of my classes to stay in the 3.8+ range. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay perfect  as per gpa other tha study hard? i consider myself pretty smart but acing every class from now till graduation seems very daunting. My Lsat practice scores are in the low 170's. Thanks.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
Re: Any 4.0 students here?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:35:24 AM »
I have four 4.0 semesters under my belt. Every one of them boiled down to me not skipping class.
Michigan '11

headkiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 01:42:59 AM »
Noted. Did you take a full course load or a lighter schedule to enable you dvote more time to each class. Also did you pick easier classes or didnt really care?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 02:42:49 AM »
I agree with a lot of what was said above, but this depends a lot on the major / school / professor / whatever, but...

1) focus on one test/assignment at a time
2) go to class because
2a) it helps you to structure papers and test answers to the whatever the professor stresses or to his/her political leanings if appropriate
3) no need to suck up or kiss ass or be gunnerish, but I think it's important to not be a feminine hygiene product in class and challenge the professor at every turn or argue a lot

headkiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 02:55:26 AM »
Wow..very good suggestions guys. It is greatly appreciated.

MachuPicchu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 04:25:30 AM »
sstar's post and the ones supporting it are completely credited. I cannot overestimate the importance of attuning yourself to each inividual prof (withOUT, as sstar says, coming off as a nuisance or teacher's pet). No matter how well you know the material (non-quantitative), your grade is ultimately in her or his hands.

Meet one-on-one with your profs and talk about anything, not even an assignment. Some of his/her academic philosophy will spill out. For example, some profs love you to take a clear line/have a "for or against" thesis in papers, whereas others prefer a more objective, balanced view.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 09:13:22 AM »
I pretty much agree with most of the suggestions above. Definitely go to class, and run any future paper/major assignments by your professor. Don't argue with them too much and try to side with them on their political scale. As a future lawyer, you should be able to take both sides of the issue anyway and sometimes you won't get to choose one yourself. Also, study smart- don't waste your time on learning something that won't be tested or given credit for. Figure out what your prof's exams are like and then find the best strategy to study for them.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 04:11:03 PM »
Noted. Did you take a full course load or a lighter schedule to enable you dvote more time to each class. Also did you pick easier classes or didnt really care?

I usually take 14 credits a semester, with the odd summer class to make sure I graduate on time.

I actually have an easier time keeping a 4.0 with classes that are challenging enough to be intellectually engaging. If I pick easy classes, I wind up blowing them off and I usually end up blowing the 4.0. This past semester I got a 4.0 in two senior-level CJ classes and two senior level Econ classes simply because I enjoyed them and found them interesting. But I already knew I loved econ and CJ, and that's why I picked them.

Don't pick classes you suck at - I got my lowest GPA of the past four years a few semesters ago because I took two upper-level Lit classes that were a huge mistake, as I f-ing hate Lit classes - but don't pick a bunch of intro level snorefests either or you'll talk yourself out of going to class.

Also, since you're just starting out: use your professors' office hours. Use them a lot. Most professors relish the idea of talking to a student who cares enough to put in a little extra time. Don't become a creepy stalker or anything, but visit your professors often. When it comes time to ask for letters of recommendation, it really helps if they know who you are. The whole "go to class" thing comes in handy here too - professors know who's there every day and who isn't.
Michigan '11

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 10:41:10 PM »
Sign up for www.pickaprof.com if your school utilizes it.  Great way to screen professors.  There wasn't a curve at my undergrad, so some profs gave 30-40% of the class As while other profs gave 5% or fewer As.  Not only does PickAProf list grade distributions, but students can review profs and post info about exam/paper assignments.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 12:02:30 AM »
Sign up for www.pickaprof.com if your school utilizes it.  Great way to screen professors.  There wasn't a curve at my undergrad, so some profs gave 30-40% of the class As while other profs gave 5% or fewer As.  Not only does PickAProf list grade distributions, but students can review profs and post info about exam/paper assignments.

Also ratemyprofessors.com is pretty decent