"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

Soren

• View Profile
Re: IF YOU'RE STUDYING FOR THE LSAT...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:56:42 PM »
While you raise a decent argument, in personal experience I find that knowing what I did incorrectly helps me improve far more than simply taking the same test over and over again. After all, how can you improve if you don't know what you're doing wrong?

SJ101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:07:21 PM »
Dude, you have a source on this? No offense, but it sounds like horrible advice. Taking practice tests improves your pacing and endurance, and helps to prepare you for the test day experience. But, c'mon, if you do it your way, you're just going to keep making the same mistakes again and again. Yeah, I guess you'll figure out what they are during the "last stage of your preperation," but by then it might be too late to fix them.

There are lots of people who get stratospheric scores and only take something like 20 prep tests.

Quality over quantity, dude.

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 11:10:27 PM »
I agree with the above posters.  How are you supposed to know which ones you got wrong, or more importantly, why you got them wrong?  Every study source/guide I've seen says that you should take practice exams and find out where you're messing up.  Taking test after test seems like you'll just make the same mistakes each time.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
Cady
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 11:26:20 PM »
Cady.
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »
You assume not knowing the answer will somehow make you forget the entire test. That's false. Once you've taken a test and gone through the motions of figuring out answers, you will have an easier time doing the same question the next time around, regardless of who marks the test. There is a definite difference in retaking a test and doing a new one, even if you don't have the answer. Therefore, it is wrong to pretend that having someone else mark the test will make the test just as valuable as if you've never seen it.

You also fail to address the fact that not knowing what you're doing wrong will not help you. If you're repeating the same mistake over and over again because you're doing the same question and using the same thought process, you will learn nothing.

EZboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:31:21 PM »
flame

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:36:25 PM »
If there are ~60 tests, you shouldn't be running out.  If you do and are not achieving your desired scores, you're not studying right.  You shouldn't just be rushing through the tests.  Each test should be followed by a comprehensive review of the questions (even those that you got correct) and a look through reference materials or a visit to LSD, if necessary. 

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 11:46:21 PM »
By the time you start using the official tests you shouldn't need to know why you got something wrong. If you need to proof a test, limit yourself to the first 5 or so.

This is pure idiocy.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 12:24:18 AM »
Diagnostic exams are way overrated as far as LSAT study goes, and by and large are good for little more than pacing practice.  Speed comes from efficiency, efficiency comes from competency and competency comes from studying questions SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.  Endurance comes from competency as well (Would you get tired working a 2nd grade math test?  Why not?). 

Bottom line, if you do diags, that's fine, but to avoid reviewing them afterwards (where you stand to get the most benefit) is retarded.