Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What can you tell me about Pepperdine??  (Read 545 times)

P. Pius

• View Profile
What can you tell me about Pepperdine??
« on: August 09, 2007, 12:22:05 AM »
Hey all.  I'm going into my senior year of college here in Texas and am looking at several different law schools for Fall 08.  My GPA is about a 3.3, and I'm taking the LSAT in Sept.  I've got 3 letters of rec from really good professors, in addition to extensive leadership experience in a couple organizations on campus.

I am going to apply to a few law schools in Texas, but was looking outside of the state too.  I had been considering Arizona State, but stumbled across Pepperdine and liked what I saw.  Granted I realize tuition is a little steep, but thought I'd check with ya'll and get some thoughts.  Anyone have any comments/opinions about their law school?  Any experiences with admissions that you think I should know?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What can you tell me about Pepperdine??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:36:34 AM »
Not quite Regent, but probably the most conservative school in T1. Excellent dispute resolution program and great reputation in that area.
Solid job placement for a lower-ranked school.

:)
CLS 2011

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:04:24 AM »

Pepperdine is a school with a conservative christian orientation, a politically incorrect (yet politically connected) dean, and an incredible location. 

Placement is so-so -- it's probably 4th in the local market at best. 

You should really take the LSAT before deciding which schools to apply to, though.  If you want to tell me your SAT, I can predict a baseline minimum for your score after prep.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »
Oh, and it's in Malibu, which, contrary to popular belief (outside of SoCal) is not warm and sunny all the time.  Fog is frequent nine months of the year, with temps in the 50s-60s in summer, lower in winter.  Just an FYI, as many non-Californians don't comprehend the full effect of the deep Pacific on Coastal California weather.

And nothing much happens in Malibu.  Santa Monica is half-hour away by direct bus.

I spent a summer in Malibu, and didn't experience a whole lot of 50/60 degree days.  Usually, it was in the 80's or 90's, which was much nicer than the 100+ degree heat suffered further inland. The views from the school are spectacular, as you are of course right on the ocean, and Pepperdine itself is on a hill overlooking the ocean.

It does get a little foggy in other months, which I (and many others) consider attractive.  In the winter, you're more likely to get those 50/60 degree temps, but it's still nice and mild.  The only thing that may surprise some is that the water doesn't really warm up until July -- the Pacific flows from the north, and is therefore cold much of the year.  But people surf in wetsuits pretty much year-round.

Malibu is not overwhelmingly noisy or bustling, but that's probably a plus for law school (and anyone else who likes a laid-back lifetsyle).  There are several bars and restaurants that are fun to hang out in, and you may see a celebrity or two.  If you have a car (which you certainly should), Santa Monica is only about 15-20 minutes away, and L.A. proper is only about 30 minutes away.

P. Pius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:04:35 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info so far.  I think it had been mentioned a few posts up that Pepperdine would probably rank #4 in the area.  Granted USC and UCLA are further up the list, but who do you view as #3??

In terms of SAT, I think I scored somewhere around an 1100 or so.  But that was without really any studying.  And it goes without saying that for the LSAT I'm actually putting some serious effort into it.

Thanks again for the help so far!
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:08:38 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info so far.  I think it had been mentioned a few posts up that Pepperdine would probably rank #4 in the area.  Granted USC and UCLA are further up the list, but who do you view as #3??

In terms of SAT, I think I scored somewhere around an 1100 or so.  But that was without really any studying.  And it goes without saying that for the LSAT I'm actually putting some serious effort into it.

Thanks again for the help so far!

I think most people feel that Loyola is a stronger, more established program overall, even though both are ranked identically this year.

ElMismoPandejo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:35:39 AM »
For most practical purposes, Pepperdine is not a place you want to go without a substantal scholarship.  It would be considered the fourth-best local school, but in reality it isn't even that well-regarded.  It isn't likely at all that you can get a market-paying job, which is important if you're going that much in debt.

Since LA is right below NYC and DC in terms of legal markets, it attracts lots of people from T14s, including lots of people from Boalt.  There are two very strong local schools, and the bottom half of both USC and UCLA fights for below-market jobs.  In addition, lots of people from Hastings and Davis head to LA, usually to look for below-market jobs.  I would think most local people consider all the aforementioned schools, even including San Diego, better than Loyola.  Loyola has huge graduating classes and is the dominant local TTT.  Pepperdine is condidered to be in the scrum of schools below Loyola, and among those Southwestern has the strongest local alumni base.

On the other hand Pepperdine is a very pretty place and most people do end up finding some sort of job.  But it's a difficult spot to be, especially since it's a better school than its position in the local market.  With similar numbers, you can go to San Diego or Loyola, I think.  Just try to do as well as you can on the LSAT and worry about schools later.  You might do awesome and be looking at better schools, or do worse and change your mind about the whole thing.