Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i am 32 yrs now, should i go to study law? plus,i am a minority  (Read 830 times)

pine2007

• View Profile
i am 32 yrs now, should i go to study law? plus,i am a minority...

i immigranted to canada in 2006, now i am working as a survival job because when i first came here i supported my wife to take co-op course,  now she found a decent job; so,it's my turn to go back to school ( i got my master degree in my home country, my university is recognized by canada----my GPA is pretty high, coz i know i used to be a top student);

this year we just bought a single house in toronto,so,i want to ask:
1)  is it possible for me to go to school? i am 32 yrs now, i am preparing for LSAT currently; is it too old for me?
2)   should a lawyer/law student has to be exercellent at spoken English? E is my 2nd language;
3)   if i can go to law school, how can i pay my tuition? coz we have to pay the mortgage,too?  commercial loan? or,grants>>>??

for me,i have to work while preparing for LSAT  :(

thank you guys for your comments.

babyeatsdingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: i am 32 yrs now, should i go to study law? plus,i am a minority
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:22:58 AM »
1. I am 29. I am going to school as a way to start a second career more compatible with my strengths/interests. I don't see why your age should be a barrier.
2. Do you plan to go to a school that teaches and tests in English? If so, how well you write/think in English will likely affect your grades.
3. I have a mortgage, a wife, three kids, am quitting my job in two days, will have no/minimal income in the months/years to come and will attend a rather expensive private school. I am taking out loans and may need to eventually sell an investment property to make it all work out. Whether or not you can afford to go to school depends on your financial outlook, which you've yet to describe in even general terms.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
You should wait until you're younger.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 04:00:46 PM »
If you want it bad enough...go!!!  32 is hardly ancient.  You'll graduate 35ish...still at least 30 good working years.  Why not? 

I'm 29 with two small children. I'm goin'.

To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 06:58:04 PM »
I'll be 40 with 5 kids, and I'm going. :)

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 09:09:53 PM »
1. I am 29 as well.  I have classmates who are several years older than I am.  It's never too late!

2. I think the importance of spoken English depends a lot on what type of law you want to go into.  Written English will be of paramount importance no matter what.  No offense intended, but if your post is evidence of your skill at writing in English, you're probably not ready for law school.

3. There are plenty of loans, scholarships, etc.  I have a full scholarship, take out government loans, and my wife works.  We're not doing great, but we're getting by just fine.  You should be able to do it!

Good luck!
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#

pine2007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:20:52 PM »
thank a lot, i will try my best,guys;  now every day i try to study 1-5 hours to prepare for LSAT

wish all you good luck .