Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Practice law in same state that you go to law school?  (Read 6248 times)

lkasdjfasdf

• View Profile
Practice law in same state that you go to law school?
« on: September 22, 2004, 06:15:33 PM »
How does it work? Does one usually practice law in same state that they go to law school? Is it harder to proctice law in a different state? What do you do, just take the bar from a different and then you can practice in that state. I guess I am just wondering how it all works in regard to going to law school in one state, adnd then practicing law in another state. Thanks.

LongTallVal

Re: Practice law in same state that you go to law?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 06:16:25 PM »
Or one could always take a Multi-State Bar Exam...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Practice law in same state that you go to law school?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 06:21:52 PM »
I don't think there is a multi-state bar exam...is there??

I know that certain states give their exams on certain days. Usually over 2, I think.  I had actually had a long discussion about how the bar works with an attorney at work a while back, but I can't think of it now...

I know you can take multiple tests (I think a lot of people take MA and NY), but I don't remember anything else now, other than that the MA bar exam is easy, compared to NY.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 06:31:13 PM »
It depends both on the state and the school. Lets take my state of Washington as an example. If I were to go to Seattle University or Gonzaga law I would be pretty committed to practicing in Washington or at least in the NW. Now if I went to University of Washington my options would be bit broader. However once you hit the top 14 your options are pretty much not limited. How many Yale grads practice in Connecticut? Not many I would imagine. As for the bar, generally you have to take the bar in the state you want to practice. A smaller school is likely to be specific to that states bar; a larger school may tend to be more national. Also sometimes you can get permission to practice law in another state without taking the bar, not sure how it works though.  

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 06:37:29 PM »
You apply for Pro Hac Vice admission.  You have to pay a fee to the court in the state you're trying to practice in, and it has to be connected to a specific matter.  You need to supply, in addition to the fee and the application itsef, a letter of good standing showing that you haven't had any issues in the state you currently practice in.

One of the attorneys I work for in litigation works on cases all over the country, so I file tons of these for him.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 07:08:11 PM »
Technically, yes.  The bar exam probably isn't an issue, since you end up taking a bar review course for whatever bar exam you're taking.

Getting a job is an issue, unless you're planning on practicing solo.  Many firms hire on the basis of local prestige.  "National" or top14 schools give the most flexibility.  The further down you go in the rankings, the more difficultly you'll probably have finding a job outside of the region.

dgatl

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 09:39:34 PM »
i'm planning on taking the GA and FL bar, and the USPTO of course.

LongTallVal

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 09:42:25 PM »
I don't think there is a multi-state bar exam...is there??

There is for some states.  I am not particularly well-read on this though.  I just know that there's a slew of MSBE (multi-state bar exam) prep texts at the Barnes and Noble here.

dunson

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 10:19:20 PM »
Most states require the multistate bar exam.  It is one day, then the state law is covered on the other day.  It does not allow you to practice outside the state you took the bar exam in. 

LongTallVal

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 11:01:05 PM »
Thanks for the info.