Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Time for an out-of-town weekend during the first semester?  (Read 1686 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Time for an out-of-town weekend during the first semester?
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:09:46 AM »
I hear all about the crazy hours of necessary studying during 1L especially, and I guess I'm just curious if there will be time in November for a weekend out of town (not Thanksgiving), but a Friday evening to Sunday afternoon excursion.  I want to be able to tell my friends that I'll be able to go, but I keep saying I'm not sure b/c of homework/studying.

Thanks!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: Time for an out-of-town weekend during the first semester?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:50:09 AM »
I hear all about the crazy hours of necessary studying during 1L especially, and I guess I'm just curious if there will be time in November for a weekend out of town (not Thanksgiving), but a Friday evening to Sunday afternoon excursion.  I want to be able to tell my friends that I'll be able to go, but I keep saying I'm not sure b/c of homework/studying.

Thanks!
November is a little dicey, especially very late November.  You're probably going to either go home, travel, or slack off during Thanksgiving, so you're adding another weekend when crunch time is starting to hit.  If there is a weekend after Thanksgiving this year (like Thanksgiving is really early), then I would forget about it, that's right before finals.  If it's before Thanksgiving, you need to front load your work.  And you need to seriously be ready to cancel the trip and eat the cost if you slacked off and need the weekend for work.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 08:36:58 AM »

Thanks!
November is a little dicey, especially very late November.  You're probably going to either go home, travel, or slack off during Thanksgiving, so you're adding another weekend when crunch time is starting to hit.  If there is a weekend after Thanksgiving this year (like Thanksgiving is really early), then I would forget about it, that's right before finals.  If it's before Thanksgiving, you need to front load your work.  And you need to seriously be ready to cancel the trip and eat the cost if you slacked off and need the weekend for work.

I second tacojohn's advice!

LawSchoolNY07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 09:18:54 AM »
I wanted to ask the same question basically.

My trip would be one night (sat to sun) in early october. I could work all night friday and most of the evening on sunday... but it would totally cut out sat. and put a huge dent in my weekend as far as studying goes.

Any advice.

Thanks
"I Go Here!" : Fordham
"What? Like Its Hard?: Fordham, St.Johns ($$$$), Villanova, Northeastern ($$), UCONN, Seton Hall ($$$), Brooklyn ($$$), Cardozo
"No, Its Like a Smart People Thing": BC, Penn
"Shes not completely unfortunate looking": Cornell

Pending:BU

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »
Wow this is crazy.... I was planning to fly home for the weekend of my 21st, which will be in late Sept. Will I not be able to do this?
Vandy 1L... really?

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:34:56 AM »
The answer is yes, absolutely. Plan the trip. Just avoid anything within the two weeks before finals, and amp up your reading before you leave so that you have Mon through Tues/Weds of the week you return covered.  That's it.  

Pls don't get freaked out about all the work you hear you'll be doing.  The skill that first semester tests more than any other is your ability to cope with stress -- the stress of hearing how much everyone else is supposedly doing.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »

Thanks!

November is usually pretty stressful, because exams are right around the corner, but if you've been doing your work up to that point in the semester there's no reason why you couldn't take a couple days away. It might even be a good way to clear your head before the last big push.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »
November is a completely different story than October or September.  Earlier in the semester, you have a little less to do usually (since you're not studying in full gear for finals).  It's also easier to make time up.  Overnight trips, or a weekend here or there is perfectly doable.

But November gets dicey; depending on how up to date you are on your outlines, how comfortable you're feeling with the material, how diligently you've been working on your final legal writing memo (which is usually due before finals period), you may or may not be able to handle taking an entire weekend away from studying.

If you're pretty caught up, and have been working diligently throughout, as London Bound said, taking some time away may even be beneficial.  But if you're already stressed, feeling very behind, etc., then going away may just add more stress which is never helpful.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 11:04:24 AM »
Thanks, everyone!

I guess once I get my classes and syllabi I will check the schedules and I will also try to keep up and be ahead before that weekend.  It's the type of "trip/thing" where if need be I could leave early or come late just to be a part of it a little bit, but I'll play it by ear!

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 12:42:55 PM »
I kinda figured that November would be a bit crazy, so I scheduled my one excursion tentatively for sometime in October