Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting the Most out of Testmasters/Scoreperfect  (Read 1196 times)

paperjames

• View Profile
Getting the Most out of Testmasters/Scoreperfect
« on: August 06, 2007, 06:27:52 PM »
I know that there used to be a thread about this-- I searched for it, but I couldn't find it. I'm taking the class (Scoreperfect, which is Testmasters in Texas), and I'm doing all the homework and I feel like I understand most of it, but I keep reading that the course itself isn't the magic bullet, and that you're going to have to work to get the score increase (which I'm not complaining about: I completely agree and understand). I guess I just want to know how to get the absolute most out of the class-- in terms of how to study, what to do with the course, etc. I'd be more than glad to receive advice from anyone who's taken/is taking a prep class, and how I can get the absolute maximum out of it.

Thanks!

paperjames

• View Profile
Re: Getting the Most out of Testmasters/Scoreperfect
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:32:48 PM »
noboby has anything?

brand_182

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 12:02:27 AM »
Are prep courses worth it for someone scoring the high 160s timed?  Or are they more like SAT/ACT prep courses - i.e. for the masses and will tell me everything I already know?
By girlfriend, do you mean that piece of rabbit fur you rub on your d*ck every night?

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 01:25:11 AM »
I know that there used to be a thread about this-- I searched for it, but I couldn't find it. I'm taking the class (Scoreperfect, which is Testmasters in Texas), and I'm doing all the homework and I feel like I understand most of it, but I keep reading that the course itself isn't the magic bullet, and that you're going to have to work to get the score increase (which I'm not complaining about: I completely agree and understand). I guess I just want to know how to get the absolute most out of the class-- in terms of how to study, what to do with the course, etc. I'd be more than glad to receive advice from anyone who's taken/is taking a prep class, and how I can get the absolute maximum out of it.

Thanks!

If you want the absolute maximum, then slip the teacher a benjamin after each class in gratitude for the invaluable insights.  If you're a hot chick, frequent one-on-one tutoring may be necessary, with extra credit for oral presentations.

That's what I used to tell my students, anyway.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

verbatim

• AOL Instant Messenger - nenena10
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:43:34 AM »
I'm enrolled in Testmasters right now, too, and I agree that the class in and of itself will not magically change one's score.  As far as study methods, I make it a habit to check every answer when I'm done with it (as opposed to doing 10 and then looking at your answers).  That way, if you get a question wrong, it's still fresh in your mind and you can better assess what went wrong.  If you get a question wrong, look at the right answer, and tell yourself why the answer you chose was wrong, and why the correct answer is right.  I found that that approach helps me to better understand the concepts, especially on the tricky questions towards the end of the lessons.
You're already doing pretty well by finishing all the homework and spending time on it; however I wouldn't do the homework with the goal of finishing it so much, but with the goal of understanding what you're doing in every question without having to guess...ever.
I don't know if Scoreperfect is the same as Testmasters in this respect, but in my course, the teacher shows up half an hour early to answer any questions from the previous lesson's homework.  If there's questions that really stumped you (or just to hear someone else explain what you've been working on) it would be beneficial to show up to these sessions. 

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

mdbutler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 02:18:06 AM »
Are prep courses worth it for someone scoring the high 160s timed?  Or are they more like SAT/ACT prep courses - i.e. for the masses and will tell me everything I already know?

I'm scoring in the low 160s, and I decided on PS because I was worried about the "new" RC.  I've been to three classes, one of which was a diagnostic exam, and I've learned a lot more than I expected.  Although, I've not take an exam to compare, I expect a major difference.

Heck, $1200 is a drop in the bucket compared to the entire journey.

brand_182

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 02:44:40 AM »
True it is a drop in the bucket but that's also like 2% of the cost of education  ;)

I'm really thinking that my best option would be a weekend course since I've already bought and studied the bibles, feel that I've used them well, and hear that Powerscore classes are similar to having someone explain their techniques better.  I don't think $1200 would be worth that for me.  I kinda have my sights set on a Testmasters/ScorePerfect weekend class because the $350 cost is manageable; I also hear a lot about TestWell from a select few people that did really well but don't seem to hear about it on these boards which makes me suspicious.
By girlfriend, do you mean that piece of rabbit fur you rub on your d*ck every night?