Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not a native speaker- vocabulary problem with RC and LR  (Read 1160 times)

elina

• View Profile
    • Email
Not a native speaker- vocabulary problem with RC and LR
« on: August 05, 2007, 02:14:44 AM »
Since my native language happened to be different from English, I'm facing  a problem while doing RC and LR sections: there are a bunch of words I'm infamiliar with, so it sometimes prevents me from picking the right answer, as I cannot fully  grasp the stimulus. :o I was looking for some LSAT books that might help me in a way with LSAT in a bookstore and I came across lots of books and flash cards that offered help in enriching the vocabulary; SAT, GRE and some others. I am pretty good at learning languages fast, but I'm undecided.. Will these materials  help somehow in my situation  or I will just waste my money? ???
Has anyone have the similar experience?

elina

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not a native speaker- vocabulary problem with RC and LR
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:38:33 AM »
I scored 146  cold at Kaplan free diagnostics a month ago, so I decided to buy LRB and I'm still in process of studying it, and I keep having a strong feeling that it's a language that stops  me  pretty often from scoring a bit higher now.  :D  Of course it's not the only reason, but still. I just want to know if there are some special vocabulary books that will improve my speed at recognizing the problem if I study them. Aren't there some stuff like" Vocabulary in a book for LSAT takers"? ::)

dirkdiggler41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
Verbal Advantage is pretty good. I think you can get it for $20 (the book not the audio tapes).
Actual LSAT: 160 (Feb)
Latest Timed Practice tests: 166, 167, 170, 168, 166, 168, 165, 163, 174, 171, 168

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »
Verbal Advantage is pretty good. I think you can get it for $20 (the book not the audio tapes).

I'll second the Verbal Advantage recommendation. It's a good, cheap way to learn a lot of words.

For you though, it might be a good idea to put off applying to law school a little so that you can really improve your vocabulary and reading comprehension. 3-6 months of reading great books can do wonders for your vocabulary and will help you enormously once you get to law school.
CLS 2011

sg7007

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 01:57:56 PM »
Since my native language happened to be different from English, I'm facing  a problem while doing RC and LR sections: there are a bunch of words I'm infamiliar with, so it sometimes prevents me from picking the right answer, as I cannot fully  grasp the stimulus. :o I was looking for some LSAT books that might help me in a way with LSAT in a bookstore and I came across lots of books and flash cards that offered help in enriching the vocabulary; SAT, GRE and some others. I am pretty good at learning languages fast, but I'm undecided.. Will these materials  help somehow in my situation  or I will just waste my money? ???
Has anyone have the similar experience?

Read as much as you can. I strongly believe the only way to master a second language is to read your ass off. But you can do that only when you like reading itself.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:03:43 PM »

Until you have said something along the lines of Jeffort somteimes engages in jactitation you have room to grow.

I have my hand on my dictionary right now

Even while engaging in jactitation?
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 09:46:16 PM »

Until you have said something along the lines of Jeffort somteimes engages in jactitation you have room to grow.

I have my hand on my dictionary right now

Even while engaging in jactitation?

*chuckle* :)

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »

For you though, it might be a good idea to put off applying to law school a little so that you can really improve your vocabulary and reading comprehension. 3-6 months of reading great books can do wonders for your vocabulary and will help you enormously once you get to law school.

I agree. If you don't have a good command of English, you will struggle in law school, since law school requires a student to read and analyze significant amounts of material and write lengthy papers, all in English.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 10:14:33 PM »

I agree. If you don't have a good command of English, you will struggle in law school, since law school requires a student to read and analyze significant amounts of material and write lengthy papers, all in English.

I third this.

From what I've seen of law books it's not even written in modern, simple English so I'd really worry if you don't have a solid grasp on the language. Not that it stops Americans but you should aim higher. :)
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid