Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami legal market  (Read 18984 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Miami legal market
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 01:01:12 PM »
ummmm, did u ever visit tampa?  osceola?

I am from Tampa and it's hardly Miami when it comes to the prevalence of Spanish. I don't know of a single non-Spanish grocery store or major business that had any signs in both languages. While the Spanish-speaking population may be substantial, this is not a city that caters to their language needs. Also, it's not like a major law firm like DLA or Holland and Knight are doing business with those people living in Tampa who don't speak English. They deal with corporations, directors and executives -- all of whom will have a sufficient command of English, even if it isn't their native language.

Like the poster above, I had pretty extensive experience with Miami firms in OCI and not only was Spanish not a requirement, it was never even mentioned!
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »
he said no one spoke spanish,  i was just correcting him.
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »
tampa sucks  :P
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2007, 01:48:06 PM »

and mee-ami is over priced...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007, 01:50:13 PM »
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2007, 02:06:39 PM »
agreed. i prefer miami, but only certain parts.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »
I would agree with whoever warned about taking career placement advice from 0L's.  I am a rising 3L at Miami and I look on the OCI board all the time.  I can't recall EVER seeing a Biglaw firm that required Spanish.

It is true that many of the smaller firms do prefer a foreign language, but this doomsday portrait that the 0L's are painting of the Miami market is ridiculous.

I highly doubt 83% of what you just said
UMiami c/o 2010

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2007, 08:21:27 PM »
This is an interesting comment posted on the ATL Miami comments:

I was just a 3L at UM and I love Miami, but here's one secret:

I don't speak Spanish or Portuguese, but when you do OCI, they don't even mention anything about having to speak those languages on any job descriptions. Then, when you show up to the interview, they give you this huge, blank stare when you say you can't speak Spanish/Portuguese. If you can't speak Spanish or Portuguese, be prepared to work in the Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach offices, not the shiny ones on Brickell Avenue.

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2007/08/fall_recruiting_open_thread_mi_1.php
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2007, 08:51:58 PM »
This is an interesting comment posted on the ATL Miami comments:

I was just a 3L at UM and I love Miami, but here's one secret:

I don't speak Spanish or Portuguese, but when you do OCI, they don't even mention anything about having to speak those languages on any job descriptions. Then, when you show up to the interview, they give you this huge, blank stare when you say you can't speak Spanish/Portuguese. If you can't speak Spanish or Portuguese, be prepared to work in the Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach offices, not the shiny ones on Brickell Avenue.

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2007/08/fall_recruiting_open_thread_mi_1.php

This isn't much of a surprise. I've known large firms that advertise screening interviews for offices that don't hire any new/summer associates. There are also IP firms that don't advertise a specific specialty desired and then when people apply and get into the screening interview, the interview will say "Oh we really only wanted mechanical engineers" even though the screeners had the person's background in front of them when choosing him/her to interview.

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2007, 12:55:24 AM »
I would agree with whoever warned about taking career placement advice from 0L's.  I am a rising 3L at Miami and I look on the OCI board all the time.  I can't recall EVER seeing a Biglaw firm that required Spanish.

It is true that many of the smaller firms do prefer a foreign language, but this doomsday portrait that the 0L's are painting of the Miami market is ridiculous.

I highly doubt 83% of what you just said

Wow, 83%.  So that means you are 17% not retarded.
Going to Miami