Law School Discussion

Miami legal market

keelee

• View Profile
Re: Miami legal market
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 08:24:16 PM »
I stand by my previous statement.

And I stand by mine, and having lived in Miami, and having family in Miami's legal world, I certainly don't make it up. If you can't speak Spanish or Portuguese, you need something really amazing to make up for it to get a good legal job in Miami 95% of the time.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 08:27:50 PM »

And I stand by mine, and having lived in Miami, and having family in Miami's legal world, I certainly don't make it up. If you can't speak Spanish or Portuguese, you need something really amazing to make up for it to get a good legal job in Miami 95% of the time.

how about a Superman #1 in mint condition?

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 09:59:01 PM »

how about a Superman #1 in mint condition?

As long as it's the super-rare Spanish translation.  ;)

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 04:43:10 AM »
dang!

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 08:00:10 AM »
I would have to disagree that Spanish is a requirement. It certainly helps, especially if you want to do international work but it definitely is not a requirement. There are also several strong litigation and bankruptcy practices.

I second this.

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 04:40:26 PM »
Miami is where I want to practice; however, my main interests are criminal defense, personal injury and all things trial law which makes me wonder if the market in Miami is conducive towards building a successful practice since I plan on  focusing on those areas of the law. (I canít work for anybody but myself so Biglaw is out of the question). I plan on learning both Spanish and Portuguese after I graduate undergrad and during my 3 years (possibly 4 If I go for a MBA) of graduate school. How does market  for the above mentioned law areas in terms of building a lucrative practice? Also, I know that being a t14 is good and thing but hopefully it is not the deciding factor. Even with my potentiol raw scores I still think YHS is a crap shoot.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 04:45:03 PM »
Miami is where I want to practice; however, my main interests are criminal defense, personal injury and all things trial law which makes me wonder if the market in Miami is conducive towards building a successful practice since I plan on  focusing on those areas of the law. (I canít work for anybody but myself so Biglaw is out of the question). I plan on learning both Spanish and Portuguese after I graduate undergrad and during my 3 years (possibly 4 If I go for a MBA) of graduate school. How does market  for the above mentioned law areas in terms of building a lucrative practice? Also, I know that being a t14 is good and thing but hopefully it is not the deciding factor. Even with my potentiol raw scores I still think YHS is a crap shoot.

homicides and accidents don't believe in geographic restrictions. neither should you.

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »

homicides and accidents don't believe in geographic restrictions. neither should you.

The key is whether they are lucrative. I know that in Tampa criminal defense is not lucrative at all because there simply aren't that many wealthy criminal clients. That may or may not be the case in Miami, but it's something this poster wants to research before diving in.

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »
Well if I could prosecute Latin American dictators I'd make a killing in Miami ;)

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 04:59:32 PM »
Montana Holding Corporation still needs criminal defense attorneys...

but seriously I live in pretty much a TTT city in Florida (No offices of V100 or Am200 period) and the criminal lawyers still make a killing

remember in order to qualify for a public defender you need to make about poverty level...

so if your middle class (and im talking normal middle class (40-50ish)  there is no way you can qualify unless you default on your home...

people still need to be defended from DUIs

and actually unless you inherit a bunch of clients the best way is to work in the state attorney's office for 2-3 years and then move over to private practice...