Law School Discussion

Miami legal market

Re: Miami legal market
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »
I would have to disagree that Spanish is a requirement. It certainly helps, especially if you want to do international work but it definitely is not a requirement. There are also several strong litigation and bankruptcy practices.

I wouldn't think it was either.  Spanish is certainly spoken in Miami, but it's hardly the dominant language. 

FWIW, I think Spanish is the first language of 60% of Miami residents. It's definitely the predominant language.

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 03:28:12 PM »
I would have to disagree that Spanish is a requirement. It certainly helps, especially if you want to do international work but it definitely is not a requirement. There are also several strong litigation and bankruptcy practices.

I wouldn't think it was either.  Spanish is certainly spoken in Miami, but it's hardly the dominant language. 

Yes, it is the dominant language spoken in the city. Spanish is the first language of 66.75% of the City of Miami's hosueholds.

http://www.mla.org/map_data_results&state_id=12&county_id=&mode=&zip=&place_id=45000&cty_id=&ll=&a=&ea=&order=r

In all of Miami-Dade County, it is the primary language of 59.25% of households:

http://www.mla.org/map_data_results&state_id=12&county_id=86&mode=geographic&zip=&place_id=&cty_id=&ll=top&a=&ea=&order=r

And the most watch television station in Miami? It isn't FOX, ABC, CBS, or NBC...it's the Univision affiliate:

http://www.univision.net/corp/en/pr/Miami_21062004-2.html (old PR, but it's still #1).

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 03:30:46 PM »
def sports and entertainment.  Real Estate. 

Spanish?  Put it this way, they tell you the cost of your merchandise in Spanish @ CVS, Eckerds, and Walgreens.   

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 03:44:29 PM »
Even so, I'm guessing that most big law firms serve institutional clients that are able and willing to conduct business in English. Not so?

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 03:48:54 PM »
yeah it's so but you should learn Spanish to be more of an asset.  Some smaller businesses down here are conducted solely in Spanish & there may come a time where you have to represent 'em     

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 03:49:46 PM »
true story:  went to Duncan Donuts and asked for a donut-  the lady working there had NO IDEA what I was saying

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 03:54:14 PM »
Even so, I'm guessing that most big law firms serve institutional clients that are able and willing to conduct business in English. Not so?

Yes, but there is still that comfort level of doing the business in Spanish/Portuguese, when it is so easy to do in Miami. Outside of a handful of local based companies (Office Depot, Burger King, Ryder, and some others) the majority of business in Miami deals with Latin America, and there might often be a third party involved that doesn't speak English.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 03:59:11 PM »
tag

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 04:02:41 PM »

Yes, but there is still that comfort level of doing the business in Spanish/Portuguese, when it is so easy to do in Miami. Outside of a handful of local based companies (Office Depot, Burger King, Ryder, and some others) the majority of business in Miami deals with Latin America, and there might often be a third party involved that doesn't speak English.

yep

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »
I stand by my previous statement. Spanish is a bonus, but not a necessity at a big firm by any stretch. Perhaps you're looking at different listings than I am, but don't insult my intelligence by suggesting I can't read a job preference or requirement. The Miami firms don't tell UF students they need to speak Spanish, so perhaps you can stop claiming that this is why Miami places better than FSU or UF, and STFU. Those of you who think otherwise are just self-aggrandizing isolationists thinking your ESL does more than get you URM points on the LSAT.