Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami legal market  (Read 19117 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Miami legal market
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 05:59:11 PM »
tag
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 06:02:41 PM »
Even so, I'm guessing that most big law firms serve institutional clients that are able and willing to conduct business in English. Not so?

Yes, but there is still that comfort level of doing the business in Spanish/Portuguese, when it is so easy to do in Miami. Outside of a handful of local based companies (Office Depot, Burger King, Ryder, and some others) the majority of business in Miami deals with Latin America, and there might often be a third party involved that doesn't speak English.

yep
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »
I stand by my previous statement. Spanish is a bonus, but not a necessity at a big firm by any stretch. Perhaps you're looking at different listings than I am, but don't insult my intelligence by suggesting I can't read a job preference or requirement. The Miami firms don't tell UF students they need to speak Spanish, so perhaps you can stop claiming that this is why Miami places better than FSU or UF, and STFU. Those of you who think otherwise are just self-aggrandizing isolationists thinking your ESL does more than get you URM points on the LSAT.

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 10:24:16 PM »
I stand by my previous statement.

And I stand by mine, and having lived in Miami, and having family in Miami's legal world, I certainly don't make it up. If you can't speak Spanish or Portuguese, you need something really amazing to make up for it to get a good legal job in Miami 95% of the time.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 10:27:50 PM »

And I stand by mine, and having lived in Miami, and having family in Miami's legal world, I certainly don't make it up. If you can't speak Spanish or Portuguese, you need something really amazing to make up for it to get a good legal job in Miami 95% of the time.

how about a Superman #1 in mint condition?

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »

how about a Superman #1 in mint condition?

As long as it's the super-rare Spanish translation.  ;)
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 06:43:10 AM »
dang!

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 10:00:10 AM »
I would have to disagree that Spanish is a requirement. It certainly helps, especially if you want to do international work but it definitely is not a requirement. There are also several strong litigation and bankruptcy practices.

I second this.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Midnight

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 06:40:26 PM »
Miami is where I want to practice; however, my main interests are criminal defense, personal injury and all things trial law which makes me wonder if the market in Miami is conducive towards building a successful practice since I plan on  focusing on those areas of the law. (I canít work for anybody but myself so Biglaw is out of the question). I plan on learning both Spanish and Portuguese after I graduate undergrad and during my 3 years (possibly 4 If I go for a MBA) of graduate school. How does market  for the above mentioned law areas in terms of building a lucrative practice? Also, I know that being a t14 is good and thing but hopefully it is not the deciding factor. Even with my potentiol raw scores I still think YHS is a crap shoot.
"I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell, I am a HUSTLER baby I sell water to a well"-Jay Z

I think in studying law I found my religion"-Midnight

Practice Test:144
Goal Score: 180
Next Practice Test: August 31,2007
Number Of Hours A Week Spent Studying (15 hours a week)
Test Date: Un

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 06:45:03 PM »
Miami is where I want to practice; however, my main interests are criminal defense, personal injury and all things trial law which makes me wonder if the market in Miami is conducive towards building a successful practice since I plan on  focusing on those areas of the law. (I canít work for anybody but myself so Biglaw is out of the question). I plan on learning both Spanish and Portuguese after I graduate undergrad and during my 3 years (possibly 4 If I go for a MBA) of graduate school. How does market  for the above mentioned law areas in terms of building a lucrative practice? Also, I know that being a t14 is good and thing but hopefully it is not the deciding factor. Even with my potentiol raw scores I still think YHS is a crap shoot.

homicides and accidents don't believe in geographic restrictions. neither should you.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.