Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jealousy or ignorance?  (Read 1859 times)

Tinkle45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Jealousy or ignorance?
« on: August 03, 2007, 06:08:30 PM »
I am taking TM and people said lots of great things about the prepcourse. Yet, my instructor does not even provide succinct explanations for core LR questions. For instance, i have to come here for clarifications. Secondly, besides the instructor, the help-line of TM is terrible. We have only 4 hours available! So if i work during those hours, i have no access to help-line. Even when i do, i get the worst instructors.

Am i the only who is dissatisfied with the TM?

Being deprived of summer fun better be worth it

Tinkle45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Jealousy or ignorance?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 06:09:47 PM »
oh yeah and the reason why i put jealousy is because sometimes i feel that my instructor gets upset when i (or someone else) ask tricky questions or provide an alternate explanation :P... I conclude that he is jealous to give out tips since he is applying with us to LAw school next year and thinks of us as competition. Maybe i am just imagining things

Tinkle45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »
he is applying with us to LAw school next year

What?  Has he taken the LSAT yet?  And even so, you're right in that there definitely appears to be a conflict of interest here.  What a male private part.

he got 179 on the LSAT. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a genius! But i would appreciate to see that the course was worth the money. I mean, we have no explanations at the back of our books because the creator was afraid of copyright laws yada yada. At least provide us with other sources of help!

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:21:28 PM »

What?  Has he taken the LSAT yet?  And even so, you're right in that there definitely appears to be a conflict of interest here.  What a male private part.

he got 179 on the LSAT. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a genius! But i would appreciate to see that the course was worth the money. I mean, we have no explanations at the back of our books because the creator was afraid of copyright laws yada yada. At least provide us with other sources of help!

If you're having issues with your instructor, you should say something to the company.  They want you to be a happy customer, so if you're not, they want to figure out a way to make it right.  Really.  And even if this guy is a male private part, he's being paid to teach.  I imagine he does want to see you do well, even if you are competition for the coming cycle.  Even though the cynical side of me can see a person taking a job like this to disadvantage the competition, I feel like someone with a score like that has to be smart enough to understand that the statistics are on his side, even if he does have a bad GPA.

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 08:53:13 PM »

If you're having issues with your instructor, you should say something to the company.  They want you to be a happy customer, so if you're not, they want to figure out a way to make it right.  Really.  And even if this guy is a male private part, he's being paid to teach.  I imagine he does want to see you do well, even if you are competition for the coming cycle.  Even though the cynical side of me can see a person taking a job like this to disadvantage the competition, I feel like someone with a score like that has to be smart enough to understand that the statistics are on his side, even if he does have a bad GPA.

Yeah, that would be beyond cynical... almost conspiratorial or something.

My guess is he's just not a very good teacher. He probably got the job based mostly on his score, and just because he's good at taking the LSAT does not mean he has the skills required to be an effective educator.

I'd give the company a call, and tell them that you are highly dissatisfied with the quality of instruction. It's not unheard of for test prep outfits to bring in a new instructor mid class. Or they might be willing to work something else out. The important thing to remember is that you do have a certain degree of leverage to use in negotiating: as there are a lot of test prep companies offering superficially comparable products, word of mouth is enormously important in attracting business. Believe me, TM doesn't want people posting messages on boards like this one about how awful its classes are.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 12:32:20 AM »
Believe me, TM doesn't want people posting messages on boards like this one about how awful its classes are.

Especially if they're shills for other companies.

Twinkle, why don't you name the city and instructor, and see if any of your classmates share your opinions.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

Tinkle45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »
Believe me, TM doesn't want people posting messages on boards like this one about how awful its classes are.

Twinkle, why don't you name the city and instructor, and see if any of your classmates share your opinions.

awwwww so i have so much time to just come here and bash TM because i work or am a student for a different company? so i have no right to express my opinion? TM is so flawless that i am just a demon here? Funny how flawed the assumption is of yours.

Give the name of the instructor? Nope i won't. Why? Because i have 8 more lessons to go with the TM and i really don't want to have even worse situation in the course because he suspects that i am  a dissatisfied student. I don't need to justify anything to a person who does not know me but so assuredly concludes that i am with different company based on the fact that i criticized the instructor and their help services

You need proof? I was asking questions from TM prepbooks on their drills; maybe students taking TM will recognize the drills. :)

and it's Tinkle, not Twinkle...

Tinkle45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »
thanks guys! I will email the TM to notify them of this

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 05:57:02 PM »

awwwww so i have so much time to just come here and bash TM because i work or am a student for a different company? so i have no right to express my opinion? TM is so flawless that i am just a demon here? Funny how flawed the assumption is of yours.

Give the name of the instructor? Nope i won't. Why? Because i have 8 more lessons to go with the TM and i really don't want to have even worse situation in the course because he suspects that i am  a dissatisfied student. I don't need to justify anything to a person who does not know me but so assuredly concludes that i am with different company based on the fact that i criticized the instructor and their help services

You need proof? I was asking questions from TM prepbooks on their drills; maybe students taking TM will recognize the drills. :)

and it's Tinkle, not Twinkle...

Pst: it wouldn't be hard for him to figure out that he's the one we're talking about.  Even among Testmaster's instructors a 179 is fairly rare.  Odds are you aren't the only dissatisfied student in the classroom, but even if you were... how could he take it out on you?  It's not like he gets to grade you or something.

MyDiego

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »
I feel like the TM wants YOU, the student, to be critical and independent in studying for the LSAT. I like that approach
GPA: 3.75
Sept. LSAT must be within 163-166 range