Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 1 V. Tier 2 Regional  (Read 976 times)

lsatarist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Tier 1 V. Tier 2 Regional
« on: August 03, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »
I have a 160 LSAT and 3.53 Cumul. GPA. I am sure that I could go somewhere in the Tier 1 (top 50), but I don't have any desire to go to say, BYU. With that said, would it be better to go for the higher ranked school... or the lower ranked school in the area you want to practice? I am sure this is a broken record of a question, but I really want your input.

I don't want to be anywhere West of the Mississippi and I would love to stay in the Midwest (Chicago, Indiana, Wisconsin) and/or DC area. Any thoughts for a list of schools (maybe 10-20) that I should seriously consider applying to?

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tier 1 V. Tier 2 Regional
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »
Maryland
American
Wisconsin
Iowa
Case Western
Ohio State
Indiana-Bloomington
Pittsburgh
Chicago-Kent
Valparaiso

notmikejones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »
Try for U Illinois!  It's a T1 that places great in Chicago, your LSAT is right at their 25% but it doesn't hurt to try.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 04:36:51 PM »
Maryland
American
Wisconsin
Iowa
Case Western
Ohio State
Indiana-Bloomington
Pittsburgh
Chicago-Kent
Valparaiso

If you're an Ohio resident, add Cincinnati to that list. Sub-$20k tuition FTW

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 01:41:09 AM »

Outside the T14, and to a lesser extent Texas/Vandy and a few other schools, you're best off ignoring the overall rankings and going to the best school in your desired region.

ElMismoPandejo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 03:31:39 PM »
Many of the midwest state schools are complete LSAT whores, which somewhat works against you.  Illinois and Indiana are especially, and Wisconsin to a somewhat lesser extent.

But if you really want to work in Chicago, you don't want to dip much lower than Illinois without major scholarships.  Which state do you live in and can get in-state?  Remember that if you don't want to work near where you went to school, it will be tough finding a job.

If you just want a 50-70K/year job in Chicago, try to see if DePaul or Loyola will throw money at you.

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 10:50:41 PM »
Outside the T14, and to a lesser extent Texas/Vandy and a few other schools, you're best off ignoring the overall rankings and going to the best school in your desired region.

This is the best advice you could get.

lsatarist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 02:55:32 PM »
I am from the Chicago Area. I think UW-Madison sounds like my ideal institution at the moment. After that, Kent and then Loyola.