Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Writing Individualized PSes  (Read 2625 times)

thechoson

Writing Individualized PSes
« on: September 22, 2004, 01:43:03 PM »
Are most people writing a different PS for each school they apply to?  Or the same ones?

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Individualized PSes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 01:47:23 PM »
I'm writing the same one and slightly tweaking

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 01:50:15 PM »
I pretty much wrote the same one.  It would have been awkward to insert the "Why I want to go to [insert name of school here] paragraph at the end, so I didn't.

TheDecline

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 01:53:11 PM »
I'm writing one and still considering slight tweakage at the end, but probably won't.  One PS is requiring significant tweakage because the prompt is requiring a slightly different route than the one I am currently taking for all other schools.

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 02:03:14 PM »
I put together a sheet describing all the essays required for each school I was applying to including any optional essays.  For my sanity, I wanted to keep the number of essays I wrote to under 4, and was hoping I could get by with 2.  I narrowed it down to 3 distinct essays. 

After writing the main PS, I looked at each school to see if there was a place where I could logically drop a "and this is part of why I want to apply to X" without making an major changes, but if there isn't a place where that fits with my PS as written, I'm not gonna sweat it and just leave it generic.

I have two optionals, one of which will apply to several schools.  I left the opening paragraph and concluding sentence available for tweakage for that one to make sure that it was completely clear as to how this topic applies to the stimulous.  In some ways, I think answering an optional essay in a completely on-topic way is more "personalization" than you can possibly do with a "I want to go here because" paragraph.

TheDecline

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 02:09:01 PM »
In some ways, I think answering an optional essay in a completely on-topic way is more "personalization" than you can possibly do with a "I want to go here because" paragraph.

Good point, I agree with you.   :)

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 02:20:52 PM »
I wrote two PS's.  One which encompassed the why I want to go to law school and the other which diversified myself.  Unless specified, I sent the diversification one.  But many schools ask for your motivation to pursue law, so I had my second one handy.  Sometimes, if no length was specified, I would send both.  I found that except for on e school these two essay covered all personal statements.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 02:31:07 PM »
I wrote one personal statement, but my last paragraph is dedicated to each school. It is about why I want to attend X school. Most of it can go from school to school and still seem like it is focused in on the individual school. But I do add a line or two about the programs that the school has, or the externships or clincs that they offer that interest me.

I want each school to feel as if I did my research, so why not toss in a few lines specific to each school. It does not take too much time to edit one paragraph, but I agree, I would not write an entirely new essay for each school.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

dancer3

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 02:37:42 PM »
i'm writing one unless a school has a specific thjing they want covered.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 02:57:19 PM »
I've got a couple different statements, but I'm using one as the main statement and then using the others as optionals in most cases.  I did the slight tweakage at the end thing.

ZAP