Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does engineering degree matter?  (Read 2577 times)

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does engineering degree matter?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 05:20:09 PM »
On the other hand, once you successfully GRADUATE from law school, you will be incredibly hot sh*t. Biglaw and boutique IP firms are actually considering higher salary scales/bonuses for associates holding teachnical, and especially EE, degrees.

oh yeah, I know it.  indeed, I'm laying the groundwork for a V20 1L SA.  as long as I don't f-up the interview in mid-December I should be able to land even that.  As a bottom-of-the-barrel T14 factory student. 

The NYC firms are due for another increase to at least $180k for working in NYC to make sense; hence once IP salary scale is in place on top of that, salary scale should be around $200k by the time I graduate.  *crosses fingers*

groundwork before classes have started?  hmm.  I should look into that.
2L

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »
I am graduating a big ten university with a 3.74 gpa in Electrical Engineering and a 166 LSAT.  I want to do patent law.  How much does an engineering degree matter, and what schools should I aim for( good reaches and targets on the east coast).

I would apply to all the top schools. Ppl with scores in the 165-169 range get into t10 schools all the time. You have a 3.7 in EE! I know it wasn't easy. My buddy got into Boalt with similar #s a few years ago. He had a B.Sc. in Bioengineering, and was heavily recruited.
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »
I would say 166 for an engineering major is pretty impressive considering you beat out many liberal arts majors who read more than you.  Engineering major will definitely help you get in, but it's another story in school because you'll soon realize that those who can write well (e.g. English majors) have a huge advantage over engineers because most exams are essays.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 11:34:20 PM »
it may not matter for law school admissions but it sure ass hell will matter when you're applying for jobs ... there was a post at abovethelaw a little while back about several major firms who are actually considering having a separate, higher pay scale for associates with EE degrees
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 11:56:50 PM »
I would say 166 for an engineering major is pretty impressive considering you beat out many liberal arts majors who read more than you.  Engineering major will definitely help you get in, but it's another story in school because you'll soon realize that those who can write well (e.g. English majors) have a huge advantage over engineers because most exams are essays.

I've actually heard engineers are generally among the better students.
2L

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 12:08:18 AM »
You'll get a full ride (Pres. Merit Scholar) at GW. You have a decent shot at the lower T14. If you have a really good statement, Boalt and Michigan might be within your reach. Good luck, and apply early!
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

lioness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 06:36:26 AM »
Previous work experience is important for EE/CSs getting into IP. You really need to have done technical work in order to be able write good patents. So, Rocket, if you can hold your own technically, you'll do fine.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 02:18:27 PM »
All this EE talk scares the *&^% out of me... I have an engineering degree, but its in engineering management.. I got the OK to take the patent bar... but are you all telling me that even if I do well in school, that I wont get a job doing patent work because Im not mech or EE?

Of course not. It's just that EE's are in high demand right now. The market could change in three years (probably not though).

Previous work experience is important for EE/CSs getting into IP. You really need to have done technical work in order to be able write good patents. So, Rocket, if you can hold your own technically, you'll do fine.

Another important point: if you want to litigate and not prosecute, you don't need any technical degree/experience (although I've heard it helps a good deal to get the job).
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 05:42:23 AM »
I am graduating a big ten university with a 3.74 gpa in Electrical Engineering and a 166 LSAT.  I want to do patent law.  How much does an engineering degree matter, and what schools should I aim for( good reaches and targets on the east coast).

IP firms will just eat you up.  an electrical engineer in my law school had multiple offers 2-3 weeks before class started just b/c of her degree.  especially with an LSAT like that you'll easily get into a top law school where your grades will be largely irrelevant because employers will be drooling over your degree.  you will definitely want to research this further but taking a huge scholarship from a lower ranked school might be wiser for you than going to your top choice paying full tuition if IP is what you wanna do. 

unless you don't wanna do IP stuff... in that case i dunno. 

PS: if you have a computer engineering degree, can you help me get rid of all the viruses on my friend's laptop?  thanks
testing testing 1 2 3

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 05:32:13 PM »
your GPA is impressive given your major.  this will help you.  anyone who says otherwise isn't dealing with the facts.  you shouldn't waste any time entertaining re-taking the exam.  there are a ton of incredible schools that will pay money to have you attend their law program.  I would apply to every T14 school outside HYSCCN (pick two of these, what the hell right?).  For the 15-30, pick schools located in the geographic area in which you would like to live.  Schools like UMN and IA and IL all have excellent IP programs, I'd be amazed if they didn't give you a lot of money to attend.  for the love of god don't take our word for it though.  go to LSN and see where you are most competitive according to your numbers.  factor in that you might get the equivalent of a 2 point boost on your LSAT given your major (difficulty combined with diversity would be the rationale...there aren't too many EE majors running around law school) when looking at your reach schools.  i think you're in brilliant shape.  provided you don't take a giant sh!t on yourself your first year and tank a couple of classes, you should be heavily recruited for lucrative post 2L summer internships.