Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dis-advantages of applying late..  (Read 1867 times)

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
Dis-advantages of applying late..
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:00:30 AM »
Hi folks,..

sorry to bother you all again, but I wanted to make sure of one thing.

I may have to call U of T tomorrow, but I recognize that the deadline for applications is Nov.1 for most of Canadian schools. What would be disadvantages of submitting my LSAT score mid-December? Would that significantly lower my chance of being admitted to school? in case I can't take September LSAT... I may have to take Dec....

arg.. can anyone?

obbear

• View Profile
Re: Dis-advantages of applying late..
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:11:36 PM »
Hi folks,..

sorry to bother you all again, but I wanted to make sure of one thing.

I may have to call U of T tomorrow, but I recognize that the deadline for applications is Nov.1 for most of Canadian schools. What would be disadvantages of submitting my LSAT score mid-December? Would that significantly lower my chance of being admitted to school? in case I can't take September LSAT... I may have to take Dec....

arg.. can anyone?

Well, you'd miss out on the early offers that seem to go out Dec/Jan.  But they do seem to be pretty conservative with the first round, so if your numbers are competitive after the Dec. LSAT you should be fine.  (Most, if not all, of the Ont. schools - which it sounds like you're targeting - will also take the Feb. LSAT, though generally they seem to warn against it.  There are some stories of people who believe that the Feb. sitting was too late, but I haven't heard about that for December...maybe others have, though.)

mark_darcy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »
I wrote the December LSAT, and for applying to Canadian law schools, I found there was no significant disadvantage at all.  For American ones on the other hand....

I received my first offer of admission within 7 days of the school receiving my LSAT score. By the end of January, I had heard from all but one (I think I applied to 5 schools?) Remember, they will already have your entire file, so they could, theoretically, start reviewing it.  An LSAT score is just, really, a number so it doesn't take that long to analyse!

It seems to me that schools in Canada make so few offers before January anyway, that writing in December is no big deal.  Remember, if it were, they would suggest not writing then, but instead they only suggest not writing in Feb.

I think the bigger thing that should sway your decision on when to write is how much time you will have before the test to practice.

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:19:32 PM »
Are you really that Marc Darcy in Bridget Jones's Diary?

I used to fantasize about Marc Darcy!

Anyway, thank you very much for your input. That has helped me much in making a decision. IT's reassuring.