Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I don't know how to approach my URM status  (Read 1622 times)

killblues

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I don't know how to approach my URM status
« on: August 02, 2007, 01:24:18 AM »
<Deleted>

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know how to approach my URM status
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 01:29:36 AM »
Sorry, I don't think you'd be a URM per se.
There are lotsa Cali Pinoys applying to law school too.

However, that all sounds like a great story if you can write it up well for a PS.

I actually lived in Manila for a while...which is a long way from the rice paddies but full of shantytowns to replace them.

U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 01:42:43 AM »
ummm.to the best of my knowledge Filipinos are considered as URM's. you just have to make it be known. not all schools lump all categories of Asians together. just make sure you fully explain your background in an addendum or diversity statement. and check mark the box other if there isn't a category for Filipinos.(some schools do have a box, i remember seeing an app last year that had a box for Filipino) 
T'50 Class of 2011

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 01:44:18 AM »
I don't think any school in the T14 had one specifically for filipino.

There miiiight have been a couple that had Pacific Islander separately but since LSAC has deleted last years apps from LSDAS I can't check for you.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 04:20:15 AM »
I don't think any school in the T14 had one specifically for filipino.

There miiiight have been a couple that had Pacific Islander separately but since LSAC has deleted last years apps from LSDAS I can't check for you.

So I should probably check off "Other", then indicate Filipino-Guamanian?  Because in truth that's closer to what I actually identify as than "Asian-American".  (I'm sure a lot of Guamanians feel the same way as well)

Oh and thanks a whole bunch for your tips and advice.  I've been asking around, but predictably not too many people are interested in talking about law school apps :)

I would definitely try to differentiate yourself as a Pacfic-Islander, but not Guamanian.  The box is asking for ethinicity, not nationality.  The ethnicity of Guam is Chamoru, and even if you were born and raised there, you are not Chamoru.  And, as I said, Guamanian would be a type of nationality, the way you are using it.

You have a wonderful diversity statement, but unless there's a pacific islander box, you have to choose Asian and explain that you're filipino.  You can talk about your experiences in Guam, but I wouldn't recommend calling yourself Guamanian.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago