Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which option should reign supreme?

Persons A and B
Persons A and C
All Three (A, B, and C)

Author Topic: LOR Advice  (Read 1126 times)

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LOR Advice
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:53:05 PM »
As best as I can tell schools prefer academic recommendations but no school finds employer recommendations unacceptable.  Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but schools appear to really dislike getting more than two letters.  With that in mind, please help me choose from my options.  I have the following three recommenders to choose from and I have been out of school for one year.

A: A professor who will probably write a very good letter.
B: A professor who will probably write an incredibly average letter (Good, but probably identical to 75% of letters that adcomms see)
C: My current boss who will probably write a fantastic letter.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: LOR Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:51:08 AM »
You need to post a poll.... I love hitting buttons.

Ask all 3. You don't have to use them all, and if something happens to one of the other 2, you will have a back up.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »
Poll officially added, click away.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:21:53 PM »
Schools dislike being sent less than or more than the required number of letters. You can't generalize.

You need at least one academic LOR. Go with the prof who will write the better letter, and your employer. Read Anna Ivey's book for an excellent chapter on what a rec letter should address and share these tips with your recommenders.
Vanderbilt 2010

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:28:33 PM »
Schools dislike being sent less than or more than the required number of letters. You can't generalize.

I don't know that they dislike more than the number required.  I think they dislike a bunch saying the same thing, but many schools prefer the LSDAS LOR service and would know that you have to submit more letters to certain schools than theirs, and you can't control how many LSDAS sends to each school.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:30:07 AM »
I volunteered it... to make it easier to for them to think of wonderful things to say about me. :)
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:48:56 AM »
Is it essential or incredibly rude if i don't give my LOR profs a copy of my PS and resume unless they ask for it? Or should I just volunteer it? I'm stressed :-[
I can't possibly see it as rude to not give your PS upfront.  Some kind of list of what you've done is customary.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »
Is it essential or incredibly rude if i don't give my LOR profs a copy of my PS and resume unless they ask for it? Or should I just volunteer it? I'm stressed :-[

It's not rude at all. They don't know what to write about if you don't give them a guide. If you want zero input into what will go into an LOR, don't provide them with anything.

If you actually want them to write a good LOR, you will give them your resume and draft of your PS or some statement related to why you're interested in law school. You might even type up a bulleted list of points the LOR should cover. You can also share the experts' advice on LOR writing. Anna Ivey's book has a great chapter with advice on what goes into a strong LOR.

To get a good LOR, you need to do some work beyond getting your writer to say yes.
Vanderbilt 2010