Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you know where to apply if you havent taken the LSAT yet  (Read 1978 times)

Holden Caufield

• View Profile
    • Email
How do you know where to apply if you havent taken the LSAT yet
« on: September 22, 2004, 11:04:36 AM »
Im taking them in 10 days like many of you. But scores dont come back until what, the 25th. I want to have all applications out by about that time so im confused about how to pick schools that I should apply to. My gpa, as you may have seen in other posts sucks, 3.08, iy is in science though. I am getting my masters now. On my practices i have gotten within 162-173 since may. So, there is a major difference in the calibre of schools i could get in with a 173 and with a 162. A reach school with one score may not be with the other.

If you want to throw some schools out that i should definitely apply to as reach, or saftey, i would greatly appreciate it. The only stipulation is that i need to be in (or directly outside) a major city, and no T3 or 4

Thanks

noell

Re: How do you know where to apply if you havent taken the LSAT yet
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 11:09:20 AM »
Cooley

Holden Caufield

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 11:10:04 AM »
with your scores i guess i'll see you there

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 11:29:03 AM »
Apply to Vandy.  You might get in with a 162 (although the GPA makes it unlikely), but with a 170+ you would have a decent shot even though your GPA is low... the relatively (for law school) low GPA combined with the uncertainty about the LSAT score does put you in a strange and unenviable situation.  

Also apply to Emory... their standards aren't quite as high as Vandy, but they're ranked in the 20's.  They admit a slightly lower LSAT score and GPA range, so if you hit the higher end of your LSAT range (I'd say 168 or up) even with your lower GPA I'd be very surprised if you weren't admitted.

Ohio State also might be an option.

ZAP

noell

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »
I wasn't making fun of you, dumbass, I was offering a suggestion.

Geez.

Remember, it *IS* a law school, and they give 100% scholarships if you score over 163 on the LSAT, so why not go there, free tuition for a year, and if you keep your grades up, you'll most likely get scholarships for other years.  OR HELL, you could even transfer.

No need to insult me or my scores, when I wasn't even insulting you, you make yourself look like a jerk.

with your scores i guess i'll see you there

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 12:49:03 PM »
Apply to a range.  Pick schools that are across teh board in terms of scores, and use the region/area you want to live or practice in/special programs, etc. to pick which ones you apply to.  Choose your safeties thinking like you got a 162, and your reaches as though you got the 173, and choose a bunch in the middle.

You should get in somewhere.  That, and if by the middle of december, you decide that there's a couple of schools you should have applied to that you didn't, you'll have your lsac file and PS will be done already, so you can just send them off electronically or something. (assuming the school doesn't want a whole bunch of extra crap...filling out the actual applications was the fastest part for me)