Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Realistic is the book One L?  (Read 788 times)

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How Realistic is the book One L?
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:03:35 PM »
I just finished the book (a true account of the author's first year at HLS in the 1970s, in case anyone doesn't know).

I thought it was a fascinating read. It made law school seem intense and very challenging--for me these are positive adjectives. What do people who have been 1Ls think of the book?  How true to real life is it?  How about the portrayal of the other students, and of the professors?

Also, if I am going to a school that is ranked high up in the second tier (as opposed to a school like Harvard), how similar/different do you think the experience would be from the author's? Thanks! :)

sno

• Sr. Citizen
  • run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
Re: How Realistic is the book One L?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:12:16 PM »
i thought ivy briefs was much more similar to my experience than one l
usd class of '09!

harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 12:18:47 AM »
I just finished the book (a true account of the author's first year at HLS in the 1970s, in case anyone doesn't know).

I thought it was a fascinating read. It made law school seem intense and very challenging--for me these are positive adjectives. What do people who have been 1Ls think of the book?  How true to real life is it?  How about the portrayal of the other students, and of the professors?

Also, if I am going to a school that is ranked high up in the second tier (as opposed to a school like Harvard), how similar/different do you think the experience would be from the author's? Thanks! :)

He prefaces his book by saying that even though the book is set at Harvard and is based on his experiences there, it can be generalized to all law schools since the approach to teaching law and the competition among law students is almost universal.

That might've been true in the 1970's, but now I think that's just a load of nonsense. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 01:26:32 AM »
One L, while entertaining, is nothing like my law school experience.  In fact, I think many people exaggerate the difficulty of law school.  The toughest thing is getting used to the fact that exams often account for 100% of your grade.  But you get used to that and realize there are worse things in the world.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 12:45:01 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys. Even though I want a challenge, OneL was pretty scary at times and its nice to know that people think it is a little off the mark, to be honest. :)