Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No more AA at Michigan Law?  (Read 13369 times)

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: No more AA at Michigan Law?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 05:16:18 AM »
Though Michigan claims to no longer use AA I don't think that it's true. I know a number of minority applicants who were admitted this past cycle with between a 3.5 and 3.7 GPA and an LSAT score in the 150s (156-158). The only thing they did differently if I understand correctly was remove the part of the app where the applicant chose a racial identity. But since a number of minority applicants identify their race in their DS or some other essay I think it defeats the purpose.

Oh please! LSAT scores are not absolute indicators of success in law school. You write as U of Michigan admitted minority students with GPAs in the 2.0-2.1 range! An LSAT score in the 156-158 is not great, but it is not ghastly.
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:35 PM »

Oh please! LSAT scores are not absolute indicators of success in law school. You write as U of Michigan admitted minority students with GPAs in the 2.0-2.1 range! An LSAT score in the 156-158 is not great, but it is not ghastly.

I actually 100% agree with you. I am in no way trying to get into a debate about AA or trying to say that an LSAT score in that range is bad. All I was doing was trying to relate some info I personally knew about this past app cycle since the OP asked. I knew these people so of course I thought they were intelligent and I was excited that they received an opportunity to study law at UMich (but I'm prob biased ::))

And pignacious you are right. I didn't consider that. It will be interesting to see how their new policy is actually applied this cycle.

blondngreen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
Of course Michigan found away around it, look at the LSAT scores of some of the minorities they admitted.  If they were judged by the same standards as the rest of us, they'd hardly be attending a top 10 school.  I've known a lot of people who've gone to law school and would seem that those who scored in the 170s on the LSAT do tend to do better - there is a reason that law schools favor the LSAT as the main predictor of how well you will do.  There are exceptions of course, but there are exceptions to every rule.

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
I would submit to you that those individuals with 170s are at a school where an underlying culture of cooperation and permisivness is present. Any person White, Black or otherwise thats has a GPA exceeding a 3.6 would probably suceed at any law school despite an LSAT under the 25% mean.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »
Also don't forget the Personal Statement and Diversity Statement

rightfully so. Taking a person's identity (which often has a pretty large influence on how your life plays) out of the question as a qualification in a process that is admittedly subjective is stupid anyway.

Personally, I think what's stupid is assuming that someone's "identiy" (or life) is somehow determined by one's ethinicity and skin color.

(Though a few weeks late..)

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board.
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

blondngreen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
I would submit to you that those individuals with 170s are at a school where an underlying culture of cooperation and permisivness is present. Any person White, Black or otherwise thats has a GPA exceeding a 3.6 would probably suceed at any law school despite an LSAT under the 25% mean.

You know distinguishing meaningful utterances from nonsense is not a trivial task.  I know that you were trying to contradict me, but you needn't bother.  I'm talking specifically about the 6 or 7 people I know who scored in the 170s on their LSAT and went on to excel at law school.  They didn't all attend the same law school.  I have to disagree with your point about GPA.  Some schools have an underlying culture of cooperation and permissiveness, thus making it easier to get a high GPA.

Penndude7

• Temple '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 06:35:41 PM »
Congratulations to Michigan for entering the 21st century!

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 09:22:31 PM »

You know distinguishing meaningful utterances from nonsense is not a trivial task.  I know that you were trying to contradict me, but you needn't bother.  I'm talking specifically about the 6 or 7 people I know who scored in the 170s on their LSAT and went on to excel at law school.  They didn't all attend the same law school.  I have to disagree with your point about GPA.  Some schools have an underlying culture of cooperation and permissiveness, thus making it easier to get a high GPA.

I agree with you. Typically the type of student that earns such a score on the lsat attends a law school that has attrition rate of damn near next to nothing.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 09:39:22 AM »
Of course Michigan found away around it, look at the LSAT scores of some of the minorities they admitted.  If they were judged by the same standards as the rest of us, they'd hardly be attending a top 10 school.  I've known a lot of people who've gone to law school and would seem that those who scored in the 170s on the LSAT do tend to do better - there is a reason that law schools favor the LSAT as the main predictor of how well you will do.  There are exceptions of course, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Whites get into top law schools with less-than-stellar LSAT scores, too.  Get off your idiotic soapbox before it collapses!
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 12:39:37 PM »

Whites get into top law schools with less-than-stellar LSAT scores, too.  Get off your idiotic soapbox before it collapses!

Yeah, but those whites are qualified!
YLS c/o 2009