Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would anyone be willing to describe the fi-aid process they went through?  (Read 5531 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Would anyone be willing to describe the fi-aid process they went through?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »
Are there any potential roadblocks or killers?  Like in my example of needing say $20,000 in loans... is there anything that could "get in the way" of getting that money easily, or is it really just that simple?  I guess I just find it hard to believe that an institution would loan out $100,000 to some poor kid who needs it when its possible that the student could flake out and decide to work at McDonalds, making it impossible to recover the loans.
_______
.|E|R|S.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 07:42:28 PM »
making it impossible to recover the loans.

Student loans are a great bet.  More than likely the student will have a job that will enable them to payback the loan.  If they drop out they still owe the money ... even if they go bankrupt they will get their money ... student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.  If you get a job at McDs they will slap a garnishment on your wages.  They will get their money for sure.  Just don't drop out.

If you are an american citizen with some kind of credit history chances are you will get a loan.  you may need a cosigner, but you will get your student loan.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »
Shitfucker. MEFA has a better interest rate than ANY gradplus?

Do you think I can switch for next year?
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 10:57:26 PM »
What should we be doing now as far as FiAid and scholarships go?
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 12:39:56 AM »
Hoping your LSAT score is solid enough to get you scholarships?

Nothing. Maybe gathering the info you'll need for FAFSA and NeedAccess, but it doesn't take THAT long. I didn't start finaid *&^% til January at the earliest, and actually in retrospect it was more like February/March.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 06:09:09 PM »
BC was implementing this new loan processing system, which meant that I didn't even apply for loans until like 3 weeks before school started.  Its real easy, don't worry about loans.  If you're talking about independent scholarships, then it is up to you to look for these things ... a lot of groups give general post-graduate scholarships but they are usually in smaller amounts and a pain in the ass to apply for.  Once you narrow down your school choices, take a look to see if there are any special application-only scholarship programs that the school provides (for instance BC has public interest scholars, has a few special scholarships for certain underrepresented groups, has a scholarship for a jewish student, etc.)  Sometimes these scholarships are things you apply for later in school (pay for your 3rd year or something).  In general, though, count on your fin aid package being mostly loans at your top choices, or some scholarships at your safeties.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 03:30:52 PM »
Tagging for later use.
Thanks guys!

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 07:20:56 PM »
Don't forget about the multitudes of outside graduate / professional school scholarships out there that you can apply for. They're all a numbers game - just go to your undergrad finaid office, go to fastweb.com, go to your Rhodes/Marshall/Fulbright coordinator - make a list, and start applying. That's a great way to avoid loans and get your law school fully paid for (I did it for undergrad.)

KD03

• Sr. Citizen
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 02:47:59 PM »
tag/ I am also wondering if there is anything I should be doing other than obsessing over admissions now that my apps are all in - or do we just wait until after 1st of the year for FAFSA?

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 02:51:36 PM »
Apply for grad scholarships like there's no tomorrow.

Oh, and eat some holiday food.

But yeah, wait until after Jan 1st comes around to do FAFSA. Also be aware of what schools require the CSS or Need Access profiles in addition to the FAFSA. You can usually find this out by going to the school's website and looking under Admissions/Financial Aid.