;

Author Topic: OLSAS  (Read 7766 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OLSAS
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2004, 11:22:39 PM »
LSAT 167

GPA is messed up ... I have a 4.0 in economics ... and I'm ranking in the top 5 students of the program (which i think is ranked at the top in the country)

Anyways, I also have a 3.45 in engineering.  It was a program called engineering science ... kinda like engineering physics as UW ...  still, it droups my GPA and makes me boarderline at UofT.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2004, 11:30:22 PM »
LSAT 167

GPA is messed up ... I have a 4.0 in economics ... and I'm ranking in the top 5 students of the program (which i think is ranked at the top in the country)

Anyways, I also have a 3.45 in engineering.  It was a program called engineering science ... kinda like engineering physics as UW ...  still, it droups my GPA and makes me boarderline at UofT.

I'd say you're a shoe-in.  Remember they drop the worst year.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2004, 11:33:06 PM »
that's actually not true ...

they only drop the last year to calculate their numbers and send them in for reporting.  In admissions decisions, they use every year.  Plus I did five years ... hahaha

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 12:58:28 AM »
So this is on their website:

In recent years, successful regular applicants had a median LSAT score in the 94th percentile, and a median cumulative undergraduate academic record of about 84% (in the case of applicants with four years undergraduate experience, this statistic is based on the best three of the four years).

What you're saying is that this is just a reporting tactic?  That's so insidious on their part, it's almost fraudulent.
No longer here.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2004, 01:22:06 AM »
BTW, I think you still have an excellent shot at it.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2004, 09:36:06 AM »
basically ... yes, it's just a reporting tactic.

It's not really fraudulent because people know this is the case.  In your quote, notice that they actually hint towards this.  That they're admits have an 84% average based on their best three years ... but no where does it say that they admit people based on their best three years.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2004, 09:46:52 AM »
basically ... yes, it's just a reporting tactic.

It's not really fraudulent because people know this is the case.  In your quote, notice that they actually hint towards this.  That they're admits have an 84% average based on their best three years ... but no where does it say that they admit people based on their best three years.

Still very sneaky.  But actually, doesn't that mean that the overall average for 4 or 5 years maybe lower, otherwise they wouldn't bother putting this?

In any case, I still think you have a very good chance.  They're not quite robots, and will look at the upward scale in your grade, and the difficulty of the program if I am not mistaken.. 
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2004, 11:05:48 AM »
yeah, i'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

I really didn't want to go to law school at UofT but I'm very interested in their MA, doctorate program in economics ... and I can combine that with their law program.  So we'll have to see.  I live right across the street from the law school and I've been in there a few times to talk to them and get to know them.

I plan on dropping my application off personally and maybe asking some of the members of the admissions staff out on a date ;) ... just kidding ...

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2004, 01:50:21 PM »
yeah, i'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

I really didn't want to go to law school at UofT but I'm very interested in their MA, doctorate program in economics ... and I can combine that with their law program.  So we'll have to see.  I live right across the street from the law school and I've been in there a few times to talk to them and get to know them.

I plan on dropping my application off personally and maybe asking some of the members of the admissions staff out on a date ;) ... just kidding ...

Is UofT your first choice, or is a US school your first choice?
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2004, 03:18:45 PM »
its hard to say ...

UofT is probably my first Canadian choice.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the commitment to studying/practice in the US and going through all the req. procedures (ie. visa/work permit/citizenship stuff).  But I'm def. very serious about applying to US schools.  If I got into one of my top choices, I'm almost certain I would go down there.